Third Wish

"If you do not mind," Veldora asked, "How was it that you and Shizu departed? It sounded as though you two were inseparable."

"She's... gone."

"I do not wish to drag up bad memories, but... how so?"

"It was a quiet night. Shizu and I were returning from a monster subjugation request from the State of Roads... At that point, we were both around seventy years old. Thanks in part to her mask that she always kept on to contain the greater spirit and her being a deamonoid. Then my wish to live with her made my body closer to a deamonoid's than a human's. The two of us barely looked older than teenagers because of the increased lifespan. But inside we were two old souls that had fought battles, trained the next heroes, and fallen in love.

On that night, Shizu couldn't sleep. We had started to notice days before that the suppression was finally weakening. The spirit Ifrit was finally emerging. Every time she took off the mask, the more likely it was that the spirit would take over... And it did that night. I was the only one there with her, used to her flames the spirit's magic did not faze me, but the pain in my heart... it was indescribable.

After severing the spirit from her, Shizu began to age... Without it, she had essentially returned to being a human... the strain on her body. I... I wanted my skill to activate. To save her... But Shizu did not want to live forever... she..."

I started to break down into tears as I remembered the night.

***

Shizu was in my arms. Her old body was overshadowed by the love in her eyes and the apologetic smile on her face. I started crying like a child, and like one, she used what strength she had to place a hand on my face and wipe the tears.

"Shizu... please don't go..."

"I'm sorry, Dove..."

Strong desire detected. Examining desire. Unable to execute wish.

"Please, don't go... let me save you..."

Strong desire detected. Examining desire. Unable to execute wish.

"It's okay... we both know it was a great life... I met you, Hinata, Yuuki, the children... please, take care of everyone..."

Strong desire detected. Examining desire. Unable to execute wish.

"I promise, Shizu," I leaned in, kissing her on the lips, I chose to respect her wishes. "I love you."

"I love you too..."

***

The once-silent cave echoed with my sniffles. Veldora remained silent. I took a moment to recompose myself. It was not a memory that was easy for me, no matter how short it was. The worst part was the wish that gave me a body to live as long as Shizu, did not go away. She had evolved into a demonoid one, which lived far longer than normal humans. Which meant I was an odd human, a lonely one at that.

"I..." Veldora had trouble speaking, "I don't..."

"It's okay... That was over half a year ago..."

"I see... do you miss having someone close?"

"Yes, a lot actually... But I don't see myself deserving of it. I don't have the strength to tell the kids back in Ingrassia."

"Dove," Veldora leaned forward, "I believe in you. When you first stepped foot in this cave you told me you were lost, looking to reignite the fight in you to keep going. Your heart belongs to one person alone, that gave you strength to fight. I am no Shizu, but if you will allow me, I would give you the last name of the Storm Dragon."