DANCE

"Me dance?!" Dana said to Amanda. He and about five of the girls gathered in the main recreation room on a lazy and rainy afternoon.

"Sure. Every camper has to learn a few dance steps. Nothing fancy, just the Cha-Cha, Fox Trot and Waltz. It's for Summer's End Ball"

"Couldn't I just twist the night away?"

Amanda, like everyone else in the camp, had mastered the trick of getting Dana to do just about anything. "Dana, this is just about as important as the Science Fair. After it's over, we always have our big dance. Over there right now the boys are doing exactly what we're doing. We've got a secret edge this year though. You're our Man. We're counting on you to help the other girls."

"You can depend on me."

"I knew I could. Now, you start with Abigail."

His bunkmate grabbed his left hand with her right and snaked her left arm round his slender waist. Abigail was fully a head taller than he was. She stared masterfully down into his pretty blue eyes.

"But shouldn't I–"

"Just follow," Abigail commanded.

Not once in all the days Dana practices with all the girls did, he get to lead.

By the end of July though he couldn't care less. It was fun, fun to be spun around like a top and dipped so his hair almost touched the floor. Best though was when Abigale lifted him high into the air. It was like he was light as a feather, like he was flying.