HAPPY UNBIRTHDAY

Each morning before the others got up, Dana would sneak out quietly from his bunkhouse. He would stroll up the shore of the lake to the little beach that was his sanctuary. It was just a rim of sand ground powder white by glaciers that had rushed by millennia ago. A perfect crescent caught in the light of the rising sun and nestled in the grasp of a stand of young birches. Sometimes as Dana nestled within the arms of the nurturing lake water, he'd forget where he ended and where the wonders of Mother Nature began.

After, he would lie on his towel letting the morning sun and breeze caress his skin–gently drying him. Dana never wanted this private time to end, but still it always did.

"Happy birthday," Abigail smiled when he returned to the bunkhouse.

"But my birthday was last month."

"Okay then... Happy Unbirthday."

She handed him an unwrapped box. Within and beneath the tissue paper was a beautiful one-piece bathing suit. It was of that color red did not shout for attention, but instead gracefully received it.

"It's French cut. You know, makes a lady's legs long and slinky."

"Thanks," Dana said, trying to be polite. "But my old bathing trunks are just fine."

"About that... You see. I just happened to glimpse you out swimming the other morning. Not that it was something that I wanted to do. But somebody as lucky as you should really be wearing a swimsuit with a top."

"Lucky?"

"You're lucky it was me. Lots of boys sneak over to see us girls, you know."

Dana turned bright red and wrapped his arms across his budding bosom.

"It's no big deal. But a girl has to always be aware of her surroundings, you know."

"Thanks." But to Dana's way of thinking, the farthest thing from his mind was the thought that he was lucky.