Chapter 4: Rules and Secrets

The vivid ray of sunlight radiated on my face, telling me that it was time to wake up and go to school. I placed both of my hands behind me to wake my body that sunk in the fluffy mattress, but today, it felt way lighter than usual. I also didn't hear my alarm clock today. I rubbed my eyes, and blinked a few times to look out the window.

"Oh yeah...I'm in Mervilland."

I stretched, and got off the bed to walk towards the wardrobe. As soon as I opened it, I was surprised to see that my own clothes were inside of it. It seemed like the wardrobes were connected to the real world. I was worried about not having anything to change into, but thank god that this is the land of dream and magic...even though I wear almost the same clothes everyday. Plain white t-shirt, dark jeans, and a black stadium jacket. By the time I changed clothes, the other two had woken up, fully dressed in new clothes.

"Good morning," Aeri yawned, dressed in her lemon sundress. Her long black hair ran along her head, draped along her smooth cheeks.

"Rise and shine!" Leana beamed, jumping on the bed. Her dark auburn hair enwrapped her like a radiant veil. She wore a blue t-shirt that said, "DREAM BIG". Even Leana's clothes matched her usual, energetic self.

I nodded and replied with a simple greeting.

"Morning."

We got ready for another day in the classroom, and waited for the Overseer to give us instructions. In the meantime, we ate all the cookies and pastries in the cupboard for breakfast.

"Morning, Noah!" Leana smiled as soon as she saw Noah walking in the classroom from the light.

"Hi, Leana," he greeted back. With his fluffy, curly hair and his sleepy face, I imagined him as a little sheep, walking drowsily in the morning field.

A few seconds later, Leo walked in with messy hair, and took a seat beside me. Even with his hair looking like it exploded in the night, he was still strikingly good looking. His blonde hair looked as if it was bleached in sunlight and flaked with glimmering gold.

How can he look like a movie star without fixing his bed hair?! I screamed in my head.

His glittering brown eyes met mine. Behind Leo, Aeri was grinning like a Cheshire Cat. I suddenly remembered her words from our gossip yesterday night.

"Yuna, why don't you just try embracing your feelings? Maybe go talk to him tomorrow. - You don't have to worry about anything. Just go with the flow."

My heart began beating faster and faster. My face was burning.

I should say something. I should say something.

Say something, say something, say something!!

With my mind absolutely blank, and my brain not functioning properly to think of a good greeting or things to say, I could only cock my head to him.

Staring at me as if I did something wrong, he also nodded.

Aeri's shoulders slumped.

I looked away. I was so certain I screwed up.

I felt my heart deflate and shrink.

"Well...we meet again, mister I-have-amazing-ears!" Aeri snickered.

Leo smiled smugly. "Oh I'm sorry, I didn't notice you there, Miss delusional-ace-of-debate!"

Oh, here we go again..