Chapter 7

*** Seven years later ***

Tonight, was the night of Emily's thirteen birthday and she was excited but scared at the same time. She would change into her wolf for the first time. Her mind was plagued with many questions but some were invading her calm state with more intensity. Would it hurt? Of course it would. She had seen her brother go through the process. Would it take long? That, she knew it depended on each person. Jackson had taken thirty minutes, Her mother said she took forty and her father only twenty-five.
From all the questions, one was making her feel excited and not afraid. Which color her wolf would be.

For the past years, she had learn to communicate with her spirit wolf, to create a strong connection between them. It felt like having a new sight. She completely trusted her wolf and sensed her emotions. Today, they were both nervous, but she felt her wolf confident. That relaxed some of the tension that had been building on her shoulders, all day.

Her parents prepared a party to celebrate and invited her friends and some people from the pack. The guests would arrive at her house at five in the afternoon.
Her mother, Carol, knocked on her door, asking permission to enter.
She looked around noticing how much her daughter had grown. When she was five, all she had in her bedroom was dolls and her teddy wolf. Now, like a young tee girl, she had her walls all covered with band posters and singer stars. What a change, she thought, feeling somehow nostalgic. She had come to her room to tell her about her true parents and how she ended living with them.

Carol asked Emily to sit on her bed and waited for Matthew to join them. This was a delicate subject and both parents agreed that it would be better to give the news together.
When they were all reunited, Carol started talking, not taking her eyes from her daughter, so she could detect better her reaction.

"Emily, sweetie, you know how much we love you right?"

"Yes, mom." Emily was confused. She looked between her parents, trying to figure out what was going on.

Seeing Carol struggled with words, Matthew spilled the reason of the conversation.

"We aren't your biological parents. You are adopted."

Carol's eyes widened in panic. It was suppose to be a calm talk and not a bomb attack. She glanced at her daughter and apparently she was calm but she knew better.

"Emily, we wait to tell you because now you have more maturity to understand and for us, you are our daughter, even if I didn't give you birth."

"How? Why?" She asked, her voice low.

"They died when you were a baby and we took you to our home."

Emily signed.  She looked at her parents, with tears forming in her eyes. They both were afraid of her reaction, her rejection toward them.
Their daughter rose from the bed and walked to them slowly. The tears were now running down her cheeks freely and both Carol and Matthew cursed. They should have picked another day, another moment to deliver such news. Emily stopped in front of them.

"That means you don't love me?" She asked afraid to know the answer.

"We love you with all our heart and you are our daughter." Matthew said pulling her for a hug. She laid her head on his shoulder and her mother started to trace her fingers through her hair. She knew that would calm her. She knew this little girl as she had been formed in her womb.

Emily pulled back and gave them a smile.

"You are my parents then." She whispered.

The three hugged each other tightly, till Carol said that it was time to head downstairs and enjoy the party.