Tea

Violet's tiny shed was a short walk from the House, but different in every way. Most importantly it was comfortable. Paintings from the old world, collections of strange artifacts, dried flowers and framed leaves hung artistically on the walls opposite of her bed. She had slowly liberated much of the decor from the main house during her years at the Farm. Several books lined up neatly on her dresser and Violet treasured them deeply.

A supply of food under her bed and a makeshift kitchen in the corner of the shed saved her from having to eat with everyone else in the cafeteria. Soft woven rugs warmed the concrete meticulously stained blue and purple with ground up flowers. Silver stars cut from tin hung from the ceiling. Violet had spent years making a metal shed her home and to her it was perfect.

Violet was reading a psychology book when she heard the secret knock she and Zia invented. She placed her book in the correct order on her shelf, checked herself in the mirror and opened the door. Zia stood grinning and bearing gifts.

"So, tell me everything," Zia said as she shouldered past Violet and unpacked her bag on Violet's table. She was a few years older than Violet and a couple inches taller; her red glasses offset her jet-black asymmetrical haircut and creamy tan skin, giving her an edgy vibe. Zia wore long hand-knitted layers of dark gray over linen pants and sandals. She was one of the few residents of the Farm that was excused from standardized uniforms. As the Overseer of the Library, Zia had certain freedoms that most people at the Farm did not.

"What would you like to know, Z?" Violet asked.

Zia grinned, "You're supposed to tell me how your meeting went, but that can wait until we get some tea in you. I have oatmeal cookies from the cafeteria, tea, and two books! I found these while sorting and thought you would enjoy them. They are on old world history...the age of knights, I believe." Zia walked to Violet's bookshelf and slid the books into place. She rearranged them in a new order to accommodate the new additions. Then, stepped back to appreciate her work before started starting on the tea.

Violet leaned against the dresser, "Thank you so much! I can't wait to read them."

"Oh, you're welcome. But, I'm sure you'll be done with the both of them by next week." Zia winked.

Violet watched as Zia picked cups, admiring the way she moved comfortably around the shed as if it were her home. "Ha. You're probably right."

Zia steadied the kettle under the water tap,"How was the orchard?"

"Oh, it was insanely hot, but I picked plenty of apples." Violet placed her shoes next to the door as she spoke, knowing Zia detested disorder.

"Thinking of working the orchard full-time, now?" Zia joked as she measured loose tea.

"Ha! And leave you to run the Library alone? The place would fall apart." Violet grinned, showing the sliver of a gap between her front teeth.

"Really? How about I take a week off and let you manage alone. Let's see how useful you find me after that." Zia said, crinkling her nose as she laughed.

"Please don't! It gets so lonely down there in that maze of shelves."

There was a comfortable silence. Each girl worked on their task, smiling to themselves.

Then Zia said, "So, your meeting with Mr. Hubert?"

"Here it goes...he gave me the leave and die or stay and prosper speech." She mocked the man's ominous tone and tried to lighten the mood.

"If you leave you can't come back, you know that right?" Zia's tone was concerned and soft now, like the thought of Violet leaving was too painful for her to truly consider.

"I don't even know what I am going to do yet, so please stop looking miserable." Violet gave Zia a pleading look as she opened the pack of cookies and tossed one to Zia.

Zia took a deep breath and stared at the cookie in her hand. After a moment, she said, "You don't understand, there's nothing for us out there..." She reached out and grabbed Violet's hand. "I just want you to be safe, that's all, but I don't want to lecture you." She spoke with a note of finality and dropped Violet's hand.

"I was going to ask you to come with me if I go," Violet said as casually as possible, trying not to sound like she cared as much as she did. She turned at the whistle of the kettle and hid her face by pouring steaming water into the rose patterned cups as she waited for Zia's response.

"I was given the same choice, but I decided to stay and oversee the library. Do I love it here? No. Do I have stability? Yes, I think so." Zia turned away and ran her finger down the spines of Violet's books. She had provided all of them. Subjects from zoology to philosophy were represented on the shelf. Crumbling mystery and romance novels were crammed next to Violet's many journals.

Violet stood next to her with two cups of tea, holding one out. Zia took the warm cup and thanked her, leaning against the dresser. Her choppy hair tilted forward to cover her cheeks as she lowered her head to take a sip.

Violet noted the pucker in Zia's lips as she blew on the hot tea, her voice was thick with passion, "Come on, do you want to spend the rest of your life here with your books or out there with me doing something to help people? You have been my sunshine since the first day we met." She sat on the bed with her back against the wall, her face red from the intensity of her spoken feelings. Then, she added more softly, "I wouldn't make it without you."

The librarian's face pinked to match Violet's and she finally whispered in a strained voice, "I am going to think about what you said, okay, Vi?" Zia then sat next to Violet with a book in her hands.

Violet took the book and read the title. It was an old favorite of theirs about a girl named Scout, "Do you want me to read to you for a bit? I know you've had a long day and you should get a chance to relax." Violet found Zia's eyes apprehensively, hoping their discussion was over for now.

"Of course, that sounds perfect. If I fall asleep, throw me off your bed and tell me to go home." Zia chuckled as she stuck her feet under the blankets and promised to rest her eyes just for a minute. She sank back into the pillows and took off her glasses, rubbing the bridge of her nose and yawning.

Violet turned to the page where they last stopped and took a sip of tea, readying her voice. Then, her musical voice filled the room.

Violet read until Zia did in fact fall asleep, but she couldn't bring herself make her go home. She merely took Zia's shoes off, covered her up, and made herself a pallet on the floor. Dozing off content to the sound of her Zia's gentle snoring, she found herself questioning if she really should leave the Farm.

Hello again! Want to discuss this chapter?

How do you think Voilet's shed reflects her personality and life?

What did you think of Zia?

Don't forget to vote if you had a great time reading!