A Mazing: Part One

Colossal rocks in the distance looked like metal cheese. Craters gnawed pathways throughout each chunk hanging in space. The largest piece, in the middle ring of the Influence, could have been a mini-moon itself. The ship landed and Violet's booted feet hit the fine powder covering the Maze's surface, sending tiny clouds floating up to her knees. A fluttering in her stomach told her something important might happen.

A figure moved out from the gloom of a hole cave. Clad in purple, the ancient woman from the council beckoned her closer with a bony finger.

As Violet approached, the woman gestured for her to remove the helmet that distorted her view and muffled sound. Without the protection around her head, the concentrated energy from the Influence would strengthen her sensitivities.

The woman said, "You must take that off if you want to finish the Maze."

"But I won't be able to focus or handle my skills, I'm afraid of hurting myself or-" Violet glanced down at her purple jumpsuit fearing it wouldn't provide enough protection.

She shook her head, "If you don't, you won't survive. You need to be at your best and most able for these tests."

"No one ever told me how to prepare." She stared at Vitruvius below, tracing the coastlines of tiny islands with her eyes.

"You will find the answers along the way."

"Who are you?" Violet asked. She had never heard the names of the council members.

"That, you will learn when you are done. You may begin..." The woman walked into the cave.

Violet tried to catch up to her, but once inside, she saw no one. Maybe she'll be waiting at the finish.

I have to find her. That's how I'll know where to go. But I have to take this off... what if I can't handle it all and end up curled in a ball on the floor?

A voice in the back of her mind reminded her that she must complete the Maze or never get out alive. That scared her into action. She sucked in a deep breath and uncovered her head.

Not only had her vision improved, but the maze seemed different. Alive almost. She couldn't sense anyone near and her mind was quiet. Light on her feet, she pressed onward.

As she thought of the woman in purple, really thought, her arm tingled and her energy pulled her forward. A wall appeared a few arm lengths away and offered two routes. Right or Left. Violet delayed in the middle, waiting for a sign. She stood in indecision, her heart pounding. Her hands covered her face as she wracked her brain.

Then, she knew the answer.

I need to find the light. She strained her eyes to the right, first. The tunnel was narrow and dark, seeming to twist back towards the entrance. The left tunnel was uniform shape, stretching straight through the rock until a pinprick of light brightened the end.

Left it is. I guess I'll find out if I was right. She smirked at her own little joke.

Violet walked until her legs grew tired, but grew no closer to the light. So, she tried running. Pumping her legs and arms as her footsteps pinged off the walls, and the light stayed distant. It occurred to her that maybe this Maze wanted to trick her. She would have to think a bit longer before acting, next time.

She turned around.

When she found the start of the tunnel again she was exhausted. I bet that's how the Maze tires people out... they pick the wrong direction and must figure out at some point they're wrong. Or not, depending on how stubborn a person is.