Leaving

"When are these things supposed to come get us?" Zia asked softly.

"When I turn 16 they'll come for us and that should happen any minute now. Let's just see what happens, Zia." Violet said with her eyes half-open, somehow feeling the most tired she had felt in her life.

"I think they need to know we're ready, but I don't know how we could tell them. How did you meet them the first time? Oh, hold your nameplate thing, Mr. Hubert gave you." She was still curious why the Ship Masters had agreed to take her. Zia always felt dispensable, except for when she was in her library, or with Violet. The only loyalty she felt was to Violet alone. It was then that she slowly began to realize why the Ship Masters needed her. The Ship Master's knew Zia would be there for Violet no matter the costs or difficulty. The thought made Zia feel oddly proud, she then decided to go after all. Violet needed her and she could never forgive herself if she let her down.

Violet looked at her friend with curiosity and amusement, wondering how Zia always knew the next step or the most reasonable course of action. She took the metal rectangle from her bag and held it with both hands as she laid back on the huge stump to close her eyes for a minute, and let the ambiance of the clearing put her mind at ease.

A pulse blasted through her hands, Violet began to feel like a stranger in her own body, noticing her heart start to beat faster as she began to hear a familiar tune, but it reminded her of the visions she used to have before she met the Ship Masters. Her head felt light, her stomach fluttered. Stars began to shine brighter when an invisible gust of energy rippled through Violet, astounding her. The clearing was full of light. Violet slowly rose in the air. Her hair radiated blue and red light, but Violet's flesh was prickling with silvery dots. All at once, thin wires vibrant and beautiful sprang from Violet's body gently weaving and twisting themselves until her entire body almost enclosed in red, blue, and purple designs.

Zia looked on in awe and helpless fear, wondering what or who was changing Violet. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Mr. Hubert entering the clearing. Frida was standing at the entrance, white as milk looking at Violet, Zia watched her turn and run off into the woods. She called after her, but knew how fast that kid could run. Zia would have to find her once Violet was finished with her metamorphosis. Violet's body rose a few feet higher, and began to spin around, like a top with her arms outstretched. Red and blue energy pulsed through her as the wires draped over her like a gown. Faster and faster, sparks soared off Violet and into the sky until she stopped suddenly and hovered perfectly still.

The wires recoiled quickly, leaving Violet nearly bare before she landed in a heap on the grass. Zia rushed to her side, crying. Violet's body was limp but she was breathing. When Zia turned her face up, she put Violet's head in her lap and began talking to her, trying to wake her. Violet's face was wet with tears and she looked different from before. Her once brown eyes now glittered green and her skin stayed tan, but she had tiny silver freckles all over her body. Violet's deep purple hair had grown past her waist in long snaking curls. Zia thought she looked magnificent. Every so often Violet's body would spark and shock Zia, but it did not hurt at all, the sensation was almost a tickle. "When is she going to wake up?" Zia asked no one in particular.

Mr. Hubert walked over to Zia, clearing his throat. "I think it is time we talked."

"I don't think we have time for that, Mr. Hubert!"

"If you are going to take care of her, you need to know who she is."

"I know her better than you do, who are you to come here and try to ruin our plans?" Zia's teeth clenched.

"She has transformed into...her truest form. Those wires must have been developing for 16 years, in the lab we knew..."

"In the lab...her truest form? What do you mean? How're you involved in this?" Zia spat.