Luxury

Pitch black and silence had ceased when two guards rushed into Archie's cell and politely told him his stay was over. Shock and terror gripped him, not knowing if he was bound for death or freedom. As they pulled him through the halls and up out of the Agency he wondered if the couple that had visited him ever found Zia.

Now, in one of several luxurious guest bedrooms in Lucille's home, Archie stood facing an ornate mirror. After trimming his beard, he felt more like himself. He combed pomade into his shoulder-length gray and black hair, brushing the strands back and sideways. Style was his forte when he worked in the lab in Genesis so many years past. He smiled at his reflection, the crinkles around his eyes suggested a life of laughter.

A knock at the door pulled his attention back to reality.

"Come in." He dusted lint from the deep gray suit Lucille provided for him.

The door crept open and Kennith scurried in.

"Ah, hello Mr. Hubert. I'm glad to see you in such fine shape. A pity where Madame Lucille had to send you. I don't know how they found out, but the media has it plastered on every news source. We had to make it all seem peachy on her part, you understand how these things work." Kennith clicked his tongue in disapproval as he stood beside the door with his hands clasped in front of him.

He wondered who had leaked the story about his confinement.

Perhaps the mysterious couple?

Archie knew he made an easy target and expected no public sympathy, "I assume they had fun dragging my name through the mud."

"I don't see why you should care, Archie. There is nothing for you to lose. No offense." Kennith laughed in his contagious metallic way.

He chuckled in agreement, "You make a valid point, my friend. Would you mind terribly helping me with this bow tie? I haven't worn one in years. My service at The Farm never gave me an opportunity for fancy dress."

"I don't mind at all." Kennith grinned, causing his many facial piercings to glimmer in the warm artificial lighting.

Kennith's blond hair hung limp and dull. Archie remembered how the manufacturers never quite perfected the hair on androids. When he left the Moon Colony sixteen years ago, androids were becoming more prevalent than ever. They had intelligence and loyalty while still keeping unique personalities. Kennith was one of the older models, he could tell by the tiny details. He had lines connecting the false flesh that covered his inner-workings and his voice sometimes glitched, crackling at the ends of sentences.

"Everything all right?" The android looked up at Archie with curiosity.

"Oh, yes. It has just been a while since I've had hum-... interactions with somebody else." Archie blushed at his social error and endeavored to keep his composure, " I was wondering how Frida is getting along?"

Kennith showed no signs of offense and answered quickly, "She is simply...wonderful. Frida is a delight to have here. Questions! Oh, the questions she seems to be full of, and Madame Lucille adores her. If I had a credit for every time that woman spoke of the girl, I could afford this home myself." The android shook his head with a sigh of content and stepped back from Archie, "There, you look presentable for a nice meal with Madame President."

"Thank you, Kennith. You have done me a kindness with your honesty." He took a deep breath and asked, "Shall we go?"

"I've other business to attend to, but I'll escort you to the dining hall. After you." Kennith held the door open and gave a small bow.