Council

Deep inside the chamber, on a high platform, sat members of the Council. 

Violet stepped forward, closer to the middle of the vast chamber. She counted seven, each wearing a different color of the same cinched silk robes. They had a certain look about them. Large eyes, strong angular features, and feminine frames, but each looked unique from the next.

A woman stood to address her, moving a great pink bird from her shoulder to the high back of her gold chair. "Violet Hyde, the creature of Humanity and daughter of Vitruvians. Do you know why you're here?"

What a title. "I don't. I just do as I'm told," she joked.

"Ah, that's the human in you," A man with wavy crimson hair snorted as he smirked.

"Stop it," snapped the woman dressed in yellow beside him. Her hair was luminous blond and stretched over her shoulders to rest in curls on her thighs.

Violet sensed tension, but half the Council emitted a static unreadable emotion. She wished she had cultivated her abilities, maybe then she could've ascertained what their intentions were.

"May we ask you questions, child?" A man asked kindly from behind a long, green beard. He was holding a long pen, absentmindedly scratching his nose with the end.

Violet blurted, "Only if I can ask you some first," immediately regretting her words. The floor was polished slick black and when Violet looked down she felt as though she were suspended over a never-ending hole.

The pink bird squawked.

Finally, a man with no hair clad in indigo said, "If you must."

"I am human, so why should I trust you?" She took a deep breath and clutched the globe in her pocket, trying to steady herself. Her stomach clenched.

"Your Vitruvian blood protects you here," The man in crimson sounded almost disappointed, "Now if you were simply human... we might not have been so courteous."

"Why am I here?" Why can't they answer this one simple question?

"We will tell you after we ask you some questions, Violet," A woman with voluminous, curly, orange hair said in a soft voice.

Fine, she thought. Her lips tightened, "You may ask me questions, now then."

An elderly woman with no hair and purple robes croaked, "How old are you?"

"Over sixteen years," she added, "in Earth time."

The blond woman asked, "When did your abilities manifest?"

"On my sixteenth birthday."

"That is strange... did you show any signs of Vitruvian ancestry prior to that?" The man stroked his green beard as he scribbled on a piece of paper.

"My hair, maybe. It has been purple for as long as I can remember." She twisted a lock of hair behind her back.

The man in red asked, "Have you ever hurt anyone?"

Trying to answer as honestly as possible, she said, "Not physically."

He asked pushed further, "And have you ever killed anyone?"

A creeping sensation spread over her like someone was standing behind her. She turned and saw nothing.

Strange, maybe he was trying to get into my head.

"No, at least not that I know of. I might have stepped on a bug in the forest, but I wouldn't have-," She was interrupted.

"What can you do?" The woman in blue didn't seem to notice the bird pecking her robe.