Lesson Thirty-Two: Don't Lose Hope

REMINDER: PRAY YOUR PRAYERS!

A Couple Months Later

Amarah

"Are you sure you're going to buy those books for them? I want to pitch in half the money then." Jasmin said. 

"What about your hubby though?" I asked her. "I work. I can handle it, so don't worry about it." I said, trying to reassure her. 

"Amarah, we're in this together. We have to be fair about this. Plus I'm totally not missing on the rewards of doing this." She said, grinning. 

"Then if you insist." I said, smiling. 

"I can't believe they're letting us instruct a class at the masjid with a legit teacher for a whole Islamic class." 

"We're practically teacher assistants, aren't we?" I asked her, getting super excited. "I'm so glad your husband set this up." I said, smiling. 

"Well, sometimes he's just the best guy in the world." She said in admiration. I started laughing. "But during the other times, he's always telling me to cook biryani, like it's a regular and easy thing to make." She said, dreadfully. 

"Well, at least you know how to make it. Umar's mom makes amazing Biryani though. I don't even know much about desi food but that's like the best thing I've ever tasted. The best part about it are the spices." 

"Wow, you seem like you're always up for a challenge." Jasmin said. "People who aren't prone to eating spicy things don't usually start loving it." 

"You're actually right... I do treat it like a challenge." I said, finally realizing it. 

"It would be hilarious if you got married, and you would force down spicy food down his throat just to make him suffer... well that is if you're mad at him." She said, grinning. "I do it all the time, just for him." She said, giggling. 

"I think I remember telling Annie to do something like that with Umar. It must be nice to make your husband suffer once in a while." 

"It takes skills to get him angry sometimes. He could control it really well." She said. "I, on the other hand, can't." She said, sadly. "When I get angry at my parents, it lasts a whole night and during those times, I'm trying to restrain myself from ever saying anything back to them. But my tongue slips a lot... And it's scary when it does. Because I know I'm not perfect, but my anger is just something I might need help with." 

"I used to have anger back then too. In fact, I probably still do. But Binyamin would always tell me to do wudu whenever my veins began bulging out of my skin. And I would do it sometimes. It actually helped a lot. to be honest. I think the hadith goes like this: Anger comes from Shaytaan and Shaytaan is made of fire, so make ablution to distinguish the fire." 

"Wow, I've never really heard of it before but it makes sense." She said. 

"He'd also tell me if a person could control his anger, than that's what made him strong. You're not strong by finishing off a fight with your brute strength. You're strong by controlling that anger." 

"It must have been tough for you. You fought a lot in high school, right?" She asked me. 

"Yeah, but it's not really that tough. If someone tries picking a fight with me, I automatically smile and walk away. Well, sometimes anyways. Other times, I go for it, and say some pretty stupid stuff that I end up regretting." I sighed. Then I frowned. "Speaking of all these small reminders.... don't you think we could make reminders on paper and put them up on the walls to remind kids to behave themselves?" I asked her. We were sitting in the room that was given to us to teach the kids at the masjid, waiting to meet the sister that we were going to help out.