Chapter 5 - Anger Management

I opened my mouth and let out a long yawn before finally opening my eyes. The bright light coming from the window, however, did not cooperate and I immediately had to close my eyes again at the stabbing pain that shot through my head. I tried to open my eyes again, this time slower and after a couple of seconds I was finally successful. I was instantly overcome with panic as I looked around the room and became very confused about where I was and how I'd gotten here.

"What the f*ck!?" I yelled as I stretched out my leg and accidentally kicked something that felt like a body part. I heard a groan and I turned over in the bed to see Jackson lying beside me in nothing but a pair of plaid boxers.

"What's wrong?" He asked in an unusually deep tone that I recognized as his morning voice.

"Who are you?" I asked staring straight at him and putting a look of fear and confusion on my face.

"Wait, you don't remember...?" Jackson asked his eyes widening with realization and I noticed that he looked mildly panicked.

"Just kidding." I said grinning guiltily at him.

"That was hilarious." He deadpanned and I could hear the sarcasm dripping from his voice.

"Aw was Jackson scared?" I said giving him a mock pouty face as I pinched his cheek jokingly. He swatted my hand away giving me a devilish smirk.

"I was only scared of you not remembering me because I thought you'd call the cops on me for kidnapping you or something." He finished. I let out a humorless laugh in response.

"So what happened?" I asked not having the energy to try and remember everything on my own.

"You tell me." He said and I noticed his previous smirk had been replaced by an impassive expression as he raised an eyebrow at me questioningly. When I made no attempt to answer him, he sighed.

"Always so secretive..." he mumbled loud enough for me to hear and the slightly annoyed edge his voice held as he made the statement did not go unnoticed. "I was driving home from the club when I saw you throwing up into a bush so I got out of the car to come see you and as soon as I reached you, you passed out in my arms. I brought you back to my place and you woke up after a couple minutes and talked to me for a bit and then you fell right to sleep halfway through a sentence." Jackson said explaining his part of the story and immediately everything began to fall back into place; skipping school, never have I ever, the golf course, the migraine and the boys being arrested...

Just the thought of the boys being in jail started to make me panic but I forced myself to keep my expression neutral until I was out of Jackson's sight. I didn't want to have to explain anything to him, our personal lives had never been a part of our relationship and I planned to keep it that way.

"Thank you." I said smiling up at him gratefully.

"You know I'd do anything to keep you safe." He said and I could tell that everything he was saying was genuine. I grabbed my phone from the nightstand and looked at the time.

"Sh*t!" I said looking at the time on my phone. "I have to go!" I said as I hurriedly ripped the comforter off myself and rushed to the door of his flat. Jackson followed behind me at a much slower pace and watched me curiously as I quickly pulled my shoes on, but he didn't ask questions.

"Bye and thank you again!" I said getting on my tippy toes to give Jackson a tight hug which he returned easily, but as I pulled away I could see the gears turning in his head as he tried to figure me out. I shook my head as I closed the door behind me, he would never figure me out, that was something I'd make sure of.