Chapter Two

{Chapter Two}

I wake up to a cover of some song and groan, slamming my hand on the alarm clock. My sheets cling to my sweaty body, making me question just what I had been dreaming about. I don't think it was a nightmare, it doesn't feel like it. If anything I feel like it was a good dream. Those thoughts quickly flee my mind though when my phone rings. I pick it up, knowing it's Lydia seeing as she's the only one who would dare to call me this early.

"Hey, Lyd." I greet.

"Damn, how do you always know it's me?" Lydia questions in honest surprise and wonder. I roll my eyes, sliding out of the bed to get clothes ready for a shower.

"I'm psychic, now why did you call?" I demand, tossing a gray shirt onto my bed before I realize I probably should try to look a bit more professional considering I have to go to Mom's work. Then again, I hate dressing up so I won't bother.

"Can you pick me up? My mom left already and my dad's car got impounded so I need a ride." Lydia explains, breaking me from my earlier thoughts and sending surprise rushing through me.

"Impounded? How?" I inquire, grabbing a pair of jeans and a clean pair of black boxers before I head into my bathroom. I put the phone on speaker for a few minutes so I can close the door and discard my clothes.

"I don't know, he probably left it at a strip club or something." Lydia explains with a snort while I turn the shower on.

"Your dad wouldn't go to a strip club, the man freaks out when a guy on TV takes his shirt off." I deadpan, reaching out to put my hand under the water so I can test the temperature. It's still a bit chilly so I hold off on hanging up on Lydia.

"It was a joke. Are you in the shower?" She demands and I sigh.

"No, if I was in the shower I wouldn't be on the phone with you. I'm just getting ready to take a shower." I explain.

"Alright, well, I'm going to get going. I'll talk to you later, and don't forget to pick me up." She adds before the line goes dead and I sigh. I get into the shower, allowing the scalding water to cascade down my body and relax my muscles before I begin to wash my hair then body.

I quickly get out of the shower, knowing I don't have much time left to get to school since I'm picking up Lydia. I put on my clothes, and wipe the condensation from the mirror so I can attempt to fix my unruly golden blond curls. I eventually give up on attempting to fix the mess and instead go back into my room to grab everything I'll need today.

I get into my car, allowing myself to marvel slightly at the beautiful beast. I have to admit, the car was by far the best surprise my parents have ever given me. This car is far better than my first car; my first car was a rusted Ford something that my parents got at a junk yard for less than five hundred dollars. They made me fix it, since it wouldn't actually run right in the first place. I had to rebuild the whole engine from scratch, alone. But I admit, it was pretty fun and I still kind of miss my old car.

Those thoughts are soon dismissed though when I park in front of Lydia's house. She's already halfway to my car before I'm even in park and she slides into the passengers seat not a minute later, shuddering. I arch a brow at that while I pull away from the curb, heading to school.

"What happened this time?" I question, knowing her parents probably said something to her, explaining why she shuddered, something she only does when she's nervous or anxious. I find the reaction quite odd, though I'd never admit that to her or she'd probably murder me.

"I have to shadow my mom, and she works in a dusty old law firm that specializes in zoning laws. Plus, she wasn't exactly happy to find out I had to go with her to work for a month." She explains with a roll of her eyes and a snort. Though I know that's just a show to cover up her obvious hurt knowing her mom is embarrassed of her.