Chapter Thirty

{Chapter Thirty}

Two weeks has gone by.

Two weeks of talking briefly with Dad only to have Mom start yelling, making him hang up.

Two weeks of trying to keep my grades up so I won't compromise my graduation.

Two weeks of staying in Jer's bed, only getting out when I absolutely had to.

The first three days I was asleep. I took off school, wouldn't eat and only got out of bed to shower and use the bathroom.

The next three days I spent at school, using one day while Mom was looking for a new job to get some stuff out of my room. Mostly clothes because I know Dad would never let her throw anything of mine away.

The next three days after that I went to school, doing my homework and handing it in like a robot. Then it started. It was tiny comments I would brush off, just small things I would hear in the halls. Then it got worse. Within two days the school seemed to have somehow learned of my relationship, and everyone started to make comments that weren't even cleverly whispered.

They would comment things about being disgusting and sick right to my face. Even some of the teachers began to stare at me differently. So when Jer asks me this question while I'm eating some kind of soup Ian's dad Owen made and sent him over with, I can't help but nearly spit the soup on him.

"You want me to what?" I ask for clarification and he tilts his head.

"I want you to take me to your prom." Jer repeats.

"My prom. In the school? Where a majority of the school thinks I'm a pervert?" I demand in disbelief and he nods as if it's nothing.

"Everyone should go to their prom. And besides, you need to get out of the house-and not just for school. You need a distraction." He adds. I stare into his golden eyes, trying to think of an excuse not to go but I can tell he's worried and wants to get me out of the house. So I reluctantly nod and he smiles.

"Okay, I'll go I suppose." I mutter. He kisses me lightly before moving to change the movie.

"Good, you can pick up the tickets tomorrow and I'll get us something to wear." He replies. I nod in agreement, not bothering to listen to anything else he's mumbling as I close my eyes and enjoy my soup.

I only open them once more when the bowl is empty and Jer takes it from me. He returns from the kitchen and pulls me into his strong chest. I try to contain it but I sniffle, tears falling down my face faster then I can try to stop them. So I give up and cry into his chest until I fall asleep as I tend to be doing lately.

~ ~ ~

"Do we have to go?" I ask from the bedroom while Jer changes in the bathroom. I don't know why he's changing in there, I've seen him change before, but I don't question it.

"It'll be perfectly fine, love." He assures and I roll my eyes. He's said that exact line every time I asked the last two days. He seems pretty keen on going.

"Ian isn't going," I state with an overly dramatic sigh. Ian decided to get sick yesterday and tell me he can't make it but he hopes going will take my mind off things. He did it on purpose, he just didn't want to go. Lucky kid gets to eat Owen's amazing soup, stay at home, and probably read or do something fun.

I wouldn't be so opposed to going though if half the school didn't stare at me funny. I think it might be fun, but with everything that's happened, I'm not sure how fun it's going to be. But I'll do this to humor Jer, show him that I am okay despite the fact that I keep crying on him nearly every day.