Epilogue

4-4-16
{Epilogue}

"Levy, are you home?" I hear Ian call out and grin. I put my book down and take the stairs two at a time towards the front door.

"Babe," I coo, capturing Ian in a tight hug followed by numerous kisses placed all over his face, neck and arms. He laughs and pushes me off playfully but leans in to kiss me chastely.

"Where is Jer?" he asks, looking around the hall.

"He's still at work, he'll be back in about an hour. But how was it? Are you tired? Did they treat you well? Did you have fun?" I ask, taking one of his hands in mine while I use the other to grab his bag before leading him upstairs.

"It was great, I'm exhausted. They treated me very well, and I had a lot of fun." He replies with a laugh followed by a tired yawn. I don't blame him, he just got back from a two week book tour and signing for his recently published book.

I remember a no more than three years ago when he was writing up the first draft, he would have weird bursts of energy followed by times when he didn't want to do anything but focus on school. Then if he didn't get inspiration through the moments when he didn't want to get out of bed, he had mini fits of rage that I had no idea what to do with the first time it happened.

I remember there was one time he got so fed up with the lack of inspiration that he lit his recent chapter on fire, burning it in our bathroom. When I asked him why he would do that, and if he had it backed up, he told me he did not have it backed up and he didn't know why he was even bothering writing something that no one will ever read. Although I didn't--and still don't--fully understand what he's talking about, about making a difference, I get what he means. He wants to leave something behind that people will remember.

Of course in those times I couldn't do much but offer him a change of scenery and comfort him. Jer helped a bit more, taking him to places I would never set foot in--such as this old abandoned mental hospital a few towns away. But then he finished the first draft, and the second, and third until he sent a polished manuscript to a publisher. He was ecstatic that his book was published, it was nice to see him less emotional and more to himself.

Then he went on the tour and of course neither Jer nor I could go because we both have work. I missed him so much, and I know Jer will be happy to see Ian a day earlier than expected.

"Come on, lie down and take a nap. We can all talk about it later. If you want anything tell me," I add, leading Ian to the bed where he lies down. He clutches Jer's pillow to his chest and sighs, his eyes falling shut.

"Thanks, boo." He replies and I smile, leaning down to kiss him on the forehead.

"No problem, babe. Now get some sleep." I mumble, leaving the room after I turn out the light. I go into the kitchen and begin making dinner, knowing Jer will be back soon.

Halfway through making some mashed potatoes to go with our Tri-Tip, my phone rings. I wipe my hands on my black jeans before I take my phone from my back pocket. I glance at the caller ID real quick and a grin spreads on my face.

"Hey, Dad." I greet, jumping up to sit on the white marble of our bar.

"Hey, kiddo. How have you been doing?" he asks curiously and I shrug, keeping an eye on the boiling green beans to make sure they don't overcook.

"I'm great, Ian just got home." I add with a goofy smile, watching the water in the black pot bubble slowly.

"Oh, he got home early? That's great. Do you and Jer have anything special planned for him?" I shake my head.