-10- (Edit)

10

.

Li Wuji

It was quieter than usual at the manor, just the way I loved it.

But then, like all the misfortune events in my life, she just happened to stroll by, sporting an innocent look on her face when both she and I fully knew that she had been searching for me.

My relaxed expression was marred immediately.

"Wow, Ah-Ji, should you be happy to see your cousin?" Dao-er's delighted smile made me want to vomit; instead I held it back and bowed mockingly. "Ah, Dao gongzhu, how nice it is to see our crown princess come and visit me. To what do I owe this honor?"

Crown Princess...both she and I knew that she was anything but. The smile on her face dissipated, and I held back my own. I couldn't show my happiness, not just yet.

Not when she still had more to throw at me.

"You should be wise enough not to mock me orphan." Wuji smirked. "Mock you? Now why would I do that when such an esteemed daughter-in-law of my uncle Wansui had come to visit me? We're related aren't we, so why the need for hostility?"

Princess Dao exhaled slowly before walking to the nearby willow tree and inspecting it. "Ah-Ji, how was it like to accompany your cousin to qi zhao liang? Helping him find a wife must have been satisfying, right?"

I knew better to answer, she had more coming. "When will you find yourself a wife Ah-Ji? I'm sure that a word spoken to Wansui will have you sent somewhere in no time. Li Xiao had his father do this for him, what about you?"

I leaned forward and grinned rather darkly. "How about you, my dear cousin? Would you do me that honor? Or maybe, I should ask Lady Xue, she is the crown princess after all and I am sure Wansui will heed-."

I never had the chance to finish, not when she rushed up the pavilion and struck the side of my face with her palm, her blood painted nails scratching my skin and drawing some liquid of the same color. My tongue darted out to lick some of it off as I glanced up at her breathless state.

Her eyes were wild. "You're mocking me again Li Wuji, you really don't want to do that."

I rubbed my unscathed cheek and pretended to think for a moment, subtly scratching the stubble that grew messily. "And why wouldn't I...would you get Cong-er on me? Send a few soldiers to teach me a lesson? Tell your father-in-law that you are being mocked by his nephew? What would you do Ah-Dao?"

"Address me properly!"

I could help it, I chuckled. "But of course, what would you do to me, would-be-crown-princess but just a dejected Princess Dao?"

Another slap on the same cheek, this time leaving a gash. I only huffed, turning to look her in the eye with a wildness of my own...if not more.

She underestimated me, they all did. "Careful gongzhu, you may hurt your precious hand like that. Too much hitting gets it callused."

She bent down to my level, her hufu wrinkling slightly as she did. "Thank you for the warning cousin, now I have one of my own. Learn to filter that mouth of yours...it'll soon have people wondering whether only one and not two of your parents were such dirt-poor class workers. Wouldn't want others to question your legitimacy, right?"

The gnash stung and the blood trickling down my cheek burned slightly, but the words? I had grown too numb to them. So I smiled thankfully. "Don't worry about mine gongzhu...yours is the one under attack, I'll be fine. Being only half-royalty lets me stay one the sidelines and blend in easily...you on the other hand, daughter of a chief in the court and wife to Li Cong, not getting that position you so wanted as future Empress...everyone expected you to have it right? But...since you don't, aren't you in more danger than me about legitimacy? With Li Cong being the eldest and all, shouldn't you be the one to wear the phoenix crown next?"