-14.2-

Chang'An Capital

Shensi Province

T'ang Dynasty

K'āi Yuán of Ming-huang Wan-sui

Yr. 733

大明 (Daming gong)

Six months later

...Mid Winter...

Yang Yuhuan

"How old are you again child?"

"Fourteen Huanghou."

"Are you an only child?"

"Mei you Huahghou...I have elder sisters back at Luoyang still with my Uncle."

"How many?"

"Three...Huanghou."

"Well then, I am sure that it can be arranged for your family to come to Chang'An and live here. After the death of your parents, it must have been very hard to live so far away from your sisters and uncle for so many months."

I lifted my head at that statement, daring to look at the woman before me in the eye. The very woman that could end my life in a heartbeat, the most powerful woman in all of T'ang.

Consort Wu.

"You would like for my family to move here...may I ask the reason?"

Consort Wu chuckled softly, never once tearing her gaze from the mirror in front of her as one of the maids twisted the last of her hair to pin upwards. I was sure that she must have been quite a beauty when she was younger, only subtle traces of aging visible beneath all the powder on her face.

"My son...Mao-er, has taken quite an interest in you Yang Yuhuan, and I can now certainly see why. You are...quite the beauty, a flower per say. And such a flower should be in the Imperial Garden, don't you think?"

"Huanghou...I don't understand."

Consort Wu slowly lifted a hand and motioned for the maid behind her to move with a gentle flick of the wrist, rising to her feet with the aid of that maid and descending the steps to where I stood.

The palace women were right...she was intimidating, and so much more.

"What I mean, is that I would like for you to marry my son Li Mao. You should become my daughter-in-law, Ah Huan...what do you say to that?"

-

Li Xiao

"We're finally going back home Ah-Xiao..excited to see your wife?"

Wuji's comments caused laughter and hooting among the other men, I simply rolled my eyes and shook my head at that cousin of mine before sitting down and grabbing the flask of water. "Did Bixia send an order?"

Wuji huffed and leaned back, groaning in discomfort as he shifted around still in his armor. "No...he sent something so much better."

I raised a brow at that. "And what would that be?"

"Li Mao....and Li Ying."

I nearly choked on the water I was drinking, spitting out a few droplets and coughing incessantly before taking a deep breath. So much better my...