Summary

Year 733 of Kai Yuan era in T'ang Dynasty, China:

Under the benevolent rule of Emperor Xuanzong, the Chinese Empire strives with beauty and power. The Royal family of Li's are held in high regard, and peace is found within its borders.

Yet for a few, there seems to be no peace at all.

Li Xiao, third son of the blessed Emperor's elder brother and great General of the great T'ang Army, has been given the order to find a wife. At first, he is adamantly against it, yet with the persuasion of his younger sister Li Mei (-Xiang), eldest brother Li Jin, and father, he caves in, going to the eastern capital of Luoyang to find himself a wife from the seven daughters of a famous merchant, Zhao Ren Yi.

Zhao Jiayi is the middle daughter of seven, her father the wealthy merchant Zhao Ren Yi, her deceased mother an Arab mercenary's daughter. Known for her altruism and silver tongue, she grows up as the favorite of her father. The only problem? She is already seventeen years of age, and her eldest sister Zhao Aili is nearing twenty-three, and age already too old to marry. Jiayi is set on having her eldest sister marry, and the news of the famous general Li Xiao coming with that purpose is just what she needs.

Li Xiao's cousin Li Wuji, accompanies him on his journey to Luoyang. Wuji is an orphan and nephew of the Emperor as well as a general of the T'ang. 

In the streets of the Capital, Li Xiao first comes across Jiayi disguised as a beggar, and he is thrown off by her wit, instantly enamored by her and wanting to know her more, but the meeting is breif as she returns to the home in Luoyang and he continues to his duties.

When they arrive to the Qi Zhao Liang manor, they are welcomed by Zhao Ren Yi and soon see the seven daughters. Both Li Xiao and Li Wuji are immediately drawn to Zhao Jiayi (yet again for Li Xiao), her beauty catching their eye. During the welcome meal, Zhao Ren Yi more fully introduces his daughters, showing obvious bias toward Jiayi. But her reaction causes Li Xiao to believe that she is not interested in him, when in reality she is fighting her attraction to him for the purpose of marrying off her sister. 

Meanwhile, Li Mei finds herself entranced by the adoptive son of Zhao, Zhao Liangjie.

Zhao Jiayi confides in her cousin, Tang Zhen-Ting. Zhen-Ting is an orphan who was taken in  by her uncle Ren Yi, along with her brother Liangjie. Though her brother seems to fully enjoy his position as adoptive son, Zhen-Ting refuses to be considered as anything other than a Tai. She distances herself from everyone except for Jiayi, and is there to support her in the plan to get Aili to marry. 

The daughters of Zhao are now to show their talents in an attempt to impress the general and his family. Zhao Aili shows her singing and instrumental talent, Zhao Roaxi in her poetry and art, and Zhao Lili in her dancing.

The night after Lili's showcase finds Li Wuji greatly drunk. He stumbles into the garden and is breath-taken by Jiayi and her beauty. Zhen-Ting discovers him and helps him back to his chambers, and there the two have a dark conversation about their scarred pasts, causing Zhen-Ting to hurry and leave him there.

Next is Jiayi, and her talent with story-telling and words is displayed in a poignant story of the inequality of classes in T'ang. This greatly impresses the Li's and makes Li Xiao even more infatuated with her, him as well as Li Wuji. but Wuji knows that his cousin is enamored with her and resigns himself to the fact that he can not have her, comforting Li Xiao as the man tortures himself wondering why she seems not to reflect the same emotions.

Later that day, Wuji finds Zhen-Ting practicing swordsplay, only to find out as the two speak that her father is the legendary Tang Huixia, or Akbaru Alinejad.  The two also delve into each other's pasts again, this time discovering that their connection is one that frightens them both more than they would like to admit.

The days continue, Li Mei sends a letter to her uncle to speak of the Zhao household, and she also confronts Liangjie, only to be brutally pushed away by his coldness. Zhen-Ting also confronts her brother, but for another purpose, and is pushed away as well. Li Xiao tries to reach out to Jiayi, but she runs away in fear of her attraction to him.

Meanwhile, a friend of the Zhao named Yang Yuhuan, an orphan once under the care of her uncle, is sent to the palace to become a palace maid. 

Li Xiao attempts to find out Jiayi's true feelings 

A day comes when the anniversary of the deaths of both Jiayi's mother and Zhen-TIng's parents arrives, and it seems dark in the household.

Both JIayi and Li Xiao, as well as Wuji and Zhen-Ting, bond during that time.

Later on, Jiayi and Li Xiao are married, and Li Wuji proposes to Zhen-Ting