十七 : Weird

AN: I'm so sorry about the late update guys – I've been so busy of the late with my internship, I have close to zero time for myself honestly ugh. Anyhow I'll be temporarily removing the update schedule, as you can probably tell that I can't update on time anymore. So expect updates to be random for at least the next two months or so, I'll just update when I can and whenever I have a chapter ready. I apologize for the current arrangement but it's the best I can do at the moment, thank you so much for understanding!

--

"There's a girl here?" was how Thomas greeted her when she went up to say hi, his voice incredulous as if this was the most ridiculous thing he had encountered all day compared to zero memories and huge moving doors.

Qiufeng sat down, sandwiching him between herself and Newt. The celebration was ongoing, but unlike the other Greenies, this one completely refused to partake in it. He chose to settle himself near a log and sulk, kind of like herself when she had her celebration and she couldn't help smiling nostalgically at the memory. She almost couldn't believe it had been two years since she had arrived at the glade, time seemed to pass so fast – so many things had happened, to her, to them.

"Well, I don't think I look like a boy anymore, at least I hope not," she replied and in a showcase of pretence worry, glanced down at her body and gave herself a once over.

Newt laughed before explaining to the Greenie who looked perplexed – though he wasn't sure whether it was because the other still couldn't comprehend there was a girl here or because he didn't understand Qiufeng's joke. "Everyone thought she was a boy when the box sent her up because her hair was short of a few sticks to being a chicken nest, both literally and figuratively."

Qiufeng laughed fondly at the memory as Thomas slowly nodded and then glanced at them again. "So why just one girl?"

"Shuck if I know." She shrugged as she took a swing of Gally's concoction. "Name's Qiufeng by the way, everyone just calls me Feng though."

"Thomas," the boy curtly replied.

"Hell of a first day Greenie." Newt commented after a moment. He glanced over to Thomas who was staring straight ahead, right at the tightly shut East Door. The dark haired boy managed another slow nod of acknowledgement and broke his gaze away to look at the ground instead.

Newt exchanged a glance with Qiufeng who grinned awkwardly and nodded towards Thomas again. She didn't know what to say either, this Greenie was a little hard to crack. Jokes bounced off his tough exterior, and he seemed more displeased than anything at their company. Newt rolled his eyes at her lack of initiative and grabbed a mug from the ground, offering it to the other. "Here," he said in between bites of the skewered chicken he was holding, "put some hair on your chest."

When Thomas looked at it suspiciously, the blond gave a quick nod of encouragement and Qiufeng had to cough once to hide her growing anticipation for the newbie's reaction. Everyone knew that Gally's drink tasted nasty, especially the first time you downed it and she particularly enjoyed the weird expressions that came over a Greenie's face whenever they first partook in it. Thomas threw her a suspicious glance too, and she had to hide her laughter with an innocent wide smile.

He brought it to his lips, and daringly took a large gulp – resulting in him spitting it out almost immediately right after on the ground. Qiufeng burst into loud laughter as Thomas made a disgusted sound, coughing out whatever he could while Newt chuckled beside him.

"Oh my god, what is that?" He continued to hack harshly.

"We don't even know," Qiufeng replied while laughing, amusement evident in her voice.