Chapter 5 - querencia

"Look at her, she looks so stupid."

"Ew what is she eating?"

"Is that a smiley face on her lunchbox?"

"Who even uses Winnie the Pooh lunch boxes anymore."

"What a baby."

"You know, her brother died in a car accident and she didn't even cry at the funeral."

"She's such a bitch."

"Probably die a virgin too."

"She'll probably remain friendless her whole life."

"Nobody likes her."

"I'll always be here for you." Brad whispered.

-

"Red with black sparkles or black with red sparkles?" Lynn asked holding up two sweetheart neckline dresses.

"You look good in anything Lynn." I sighed forcing a smile.

She pouted for a second before putting the black dress back on the rack. Good choice. She then grabbed a gold sequinned dress with a halter strap that stopped mid-thigh.

Ooh that dress looks like a million bucks.

She smiled mischievously at me, as if she could read my thoughts. She grabbed my hand and dragged-yes dragged- me to the nearest changing room. Before I could say anything she smashed the gold dress on myself and pushed me into the cubicle. Her giggles echoing outside the door.

"LYNN!"

"I swear Tay, try that on!"

"No!" I cried checking the price tag. $500 fucking dollars. What the hell was this made of? "It's out of my budget Lynn!"

"Pish Posh! They don't charge you for trying!"

I watched her black converse walk to the cubicle next door. I leaned my head against the wall between us. I heard the slight thud of her doing the same.

"I know somethings wrong, just know I won't ever judge you if you decide to tell me. If you want to keep it to yourself, I'll respect your privacy. I don't want to see you hurt Tay. If you don't want to look back or you're too afraid to look ahead, you can always look by your side and I'll always be there. I know we've only been best friends for a year but trust me you're like a sister to me. Maybe God didn't make us that cuz he knew our mom could never handle us as sisters." she giggled softly to herself.

My throat tightened as I heard the sincerity in her voice.

"I'll always be your shoulder to cry on Tay, but don't cry at my funeral, it's the only time I can't wipe away your tears. " she whispered quietly.

Funeral..what?! 

"NOW TRY ON THAT DRESS!" I jumped. Her mood could change just like that. 

(cue snap of fingers)

I slipped it on and heaved a sigh before looking at the mirror.

Wow.

This dress actually made me look like I had curves. My boobs looked bigger by half a cup and the dress's corset shaped torso moulded mine into place. The skirt stood at a drop waist and it's hem was higher by a couple inches from my knees. It's neckline was shaped into a heart that accentuated my prominent collarbones.

"When was the last time you liked what you saw in the mirror Tay"...? a gasp escaped my lips.

I whipped around, my brunette hair swirling to a fan behind me. I was faced with a finger to a pair of soft lips before my eyes locked on Brad's. 

"B-" 

He rolled his eyes as if he expected me to not keep quiet as instructed, before I felt a hand atop of my lips. I shut my eyes trying to ignore the sparks that was cooking up my brain. He tip toed in before carefully closing the door behind me. 

"Tay! Imma get some shoes okay?" Lynn's voice hollered from outside.

But I was too much in shock to answer. Brad gave me a nod before slowing lifting his hand away from my mouth as he smiled a small mischievous smile. His finger returned to the place atop his lips. 

"Alright." my voice came out hoarse from the shock. 

"What are you doing here?" I yell-whispered. 

A smirk drew upon his face. " Ever heard of locking the door?" 

"SHH!" I shushed him, looking around us as if I could see beyond the walls. 

My eyes returned to their place on him before I realised his eyes were trailing upon my dress. His jaw tightened, before their eyes returned to mine. Slowly, they dipped, hooding while a small smirk etched his lips. 

"What?" I asked trying to be bold, but it came out more as a nervous. 

He shook his head softly. 

KNOCK!

"I'm back!" Lynn's voice hollered. 

Again, I watched as she stepped into the cubicle next door. 

I looked at him whose gaze lingered upon me before our eyes met. Without thinking, I grabbed his hand with my left before tracing. 

You 

Should 

He mouthed every word as I traced it, while I gave an affirmative nod, not daring to get lost again in his eyes when I look up. 

Go 

Braving myself to have enough self-control, I looked up, hoping to see him nod and go. It wasn't before I noticed his hand was still held in mine. With a small frown, he snatched his hand away before opening the door noisily and stomping out, the door swinging, displaying a figure in the mirror opposite the cubicle. A gorgeous gold dress worn by the girl whose face had that look. Noticing others seems simple until the noticer notices herself. This one had a longing gaze. 

I frantically turned around and unlocked the door peeking my head out to see Lynn in the black and red dress she saw earlier which was similar to mine.

She pushed the door in and locked it back once she entered the cubicle. The cubicle wasn't those normal tiny toilet kinds, they were thrice the size.

"Oh. My. God. TAY!" she cried, one hand over her gaping mouth. "You look perfect!"

I felt my face flush. I wasn't used to this kind of compliments.

"One more thing!" she announced, her index finger in the air and her eyes shining bright with excitement.

She ran out and ran back in with two paris of heels in her hands. Both of them only about two inches high. They were similar, one gold and one red.

"Here!" she nudged the gold ones to me while she put on the red ones.

Hesitantly I put it on without saying a word still in awe at how I felt with my subconscious' comments.

"Feels good doesn't it?" she half-asked half-proved giggling.

"Thank you." I found myself throwing my arms around her small frame.

I meant it by so much more.

She hugged me back understanding my appreciation.

-
querencia  (n.) a place from which one's strength is drawn, where one feels home, the place where you are your most authentic self

~~~~~~

Ok guys! Short chapter. Its to introduce Ashlynn a little more as Taylor's best friend.

Thank you guys so much for reading it means the world to me.

Do comment because I'm still debating on continuing this haha.

Again, thank you guys so much.

xoxo