Chapter 37 - yutta-hey

"Finally, you're not wearing one of those skanky dresses." Blake snickered in disgust.

A long slim black gown that hugged my waist was dotted with small glittery stars that shimmer only at an angle. It was a halter dress and had a slit between the legs. At my petite height, I didn't think I could've pulled it off. But the mirror got the better of me. I put on a matching slim black diamond mask that covered my eye area. 

"Please," I scoffed. "short doesn't mean skanky okay?" I shot him a playful glare. 

Blake put up both of his hands in mock surrender. It was then when I noticed he was wearing a dark suit with grey lining. 

"Where's your mask?" I asked. 

                                                                             Masquerade Soireé

                                                                      Warlton High Annual Prom 

                                                                                          7pm

The one invite card was held in my hand. He pulled out a sleek silver mask adored with a black lining that covered the eye area. It dipped towards one side, covering the entire right cheek. 

Phantom of the Opera. 

"May not be an opera, but I'll definitely be a ghost." Blake chuckled with a smile that didn't meet his eyes. 

I forced a smile. What if everything fails? What if the plan didn't exactly go as planned. What if. 

It was then when I realised, 'if' is the word I hated the most. While 'almost' is heart-breaking, 'if' can drive me to insanity. 'If' gave my mind possibilities. It was like listening to a psychic whose visions constantly changed. 'If' is the root of my 'worry'.

"Hey," Blake put a hand on my shoulder, probably noticing the worry. "It's going to go as planned." 

I gave him a small smile. "I hope so." 

Blake looked past me, at my shadow. His eyebrows slightly raised at the sight and I was tempted to turn. In that moment, two arms wrap around my waist lifting me up in the air as I let out a small screech. It's a wonder how even amongst people in disguises his aura was one that no mask could hide. The sense that he was there would be enough. 

When I turned around, I yelped at the sight of a chrome skull in front of my eyes. Brad was in a silk black suit with a single red rose in his shirt pocket. His dark hair was combed in a way only he could make work. His eyes raked over my dress, from my eyes, down my legs to the point where the slit ends at my black heels, before they meet mine back up again. The mask only covered his eyes, so a smirk that tugged at the corner of his lips peeked through. 

"Well?" I asked, smirking a little myself with the new found confidence. 

He fakes looking around before scratching the back of his neck. 

"I'd say, let's get out of here before my girlfriend sees." he says, wrapping his arms around my waist before my fingers swatted his broad shoulder. 

"Since when was I your girlfriend?" I smirked, part playfully, part actually realising. 

Blake let out a low whistle before exiting the room. If there was anything to say about Blake, it was that fact that he knew when somethings going to be awkward.