Past 2

The sun was shining brighter than usual. The birds were on their sweet honeymoon. It was like spring all of a sudden. I was feeling so free and lively. After months of mopping around the professors, they, at last, praised me. You know the feeling when the college professors give you an appreciative nod even though you are not a dork. I just entered college paradise.

"Hey! Dude, you rocked it, man." jumped Arnab, as soon as I left the hall after submitting my assignment, thinking of how my day was just amazing- before he decided to pay me a visit.

I can easily sum up Arnab in one word, a womanizer. All he could ever think of was hot, sexy babes mixed up with more of his spiced up erotic imaginations. I could hardly find a hot girl whom he hasn't slept with. And, like every other pervert guy, he wasn't single. He had a girlfriend Sana, by name, who dated random guys while he slept around with random girls. Quite a pair! While I used to think, guys like him never end up with a girl.

"Thanks," I smirked hardly interested.

"So, how did you manage that kick ass assignment, man? That professor was so impressed- he didn't even check your absentees and he was all like 'Nice Abhishek Sarkar, good, well done....." and he kept babbling uncontrollably in a grave voice imitating the professor. How dumb can a person be as not to understand that I just didn't care? All I wanted then was to find Avni and tell her that I did a great job.

"OK! Dude, I got to go. Catch you up later. Huh! Bye." Saying so I rushed out of there before he could open his big walrus mouth, again. It wasn't like he was bad. He was a really good friend, who would stand by your side and help you beat up guys because they took your seat in a club-which we have not done yet, but with his crazy head, that day didn't seem very far. He was a fun person, though. I can't give him the Bro tag though, overall, Avni appears more of a bro to me than him. All I need to do was find where she was!

---------------------------

"Avni, I didn't screw up this time, and trust me when I say that." I busted into her hostel room without even bothering to knock, just to see her on the bed, lying flat on her stomach, with her hands under her chin and her eyes glued to the laptop screen with a cute, baby-like smile playing on her lips.

"Hmm, shut up, I am busy," she mumbled without even bothering to look up.
Hold on!
Busy?
As in? What?
I could think of a million things that the guys did while staring with that intensity in the laptop. But Avni! She was... I mean she is a girl- though a tomboy, she clearly wouldn't be interested in that kind of stuff, at least not while the sun is still out.
OR would she???
I could feel my eyes widen with that thought.

"Whaaaat? I am watching a Barbie series. Don't give me that look and please you may sit down in that chair over there." she explained sarcastically turning her head back to the screen. I took in a deep breath, calming my crazy hormonal thoughts.

I walked over to the chair and sat down. I would have preferred the bed, though. I hummed waiting for Avni to complete her Barbie series. There was hardly anything interesting in her room to pass the time with. Her desk was crowded with books on computer language, hardware, software, C++, and a lot more. It seemed that the entire computer section of the library was on her desk. Nerd. That was the only thing that I could think of. And each of the books even had pieces of coloured papers sticking out of the pages. How could someone read these fat, extremely fat books, without wanting to kill themselves? They were sure to be abnormal like Avni. Thank god! I was normal, I can't read more than one book a month and they need to be paper thin.

I wandered my eyes around her room. Even though I have been here many times, but I never really looked at it properly. So, why not explore it. But just like there was nothing interesting on her desk, her room was bare as well. It started and ended in the same place.
The structure was same as my hostel room. There was the bathroom door a little way to the right of the main door. Thankfully, ours was a hostel where we had personal bathrooms in our rooms, surprising as it may sound it was a bit different type of college and some students like Avni and me, who didn't prefer roommates could ask for single rooms, which would be smaller than the rest.
To the left of the bathroom, was a brown oak cupboard, with stickers pasted on its door- some torn, some intact, giving away the memories of its several earlier users.
Directly facing the main door, was the bed, where Avni was sprawled up, covered in a pale, white, clean sheet. A blanket and a bolster stacked up in the corner. While the pillow squished underneath her.
The left portion of the room was occupied by me on the chair and the study table. That was the only messiest part of the room. God! She even had a dustbin in her room. Who keeps that?
My room was definitely better than hers. It was at least decorated with clothes all over the place. And the last thing left was the window behind my back and to the right of the main door, covered in a dark blue and white striped curtain. Boring!

Another glance at the room, and I noticed something I haven't earlier. Right under my nose, under the study table was a big bin with chips and biscuits stocked up. Just then, I remembered I was hunger. I reached for a packet of Kurkure, hoping that Avni wouldn't notice it missing.
But no sooner, I touched it, Avni's head snapped in my direction. "Don't you dare," she shouted, making me literally jump out of my skin. "I am keeping a watch." she murmured, turning her attention back to the screen. Gosh! She was scary. I should just find something else to do, that probably wouldn't land me in the hospital.

I looked over at Avni. Even though she wasn't a check-up material, I tried sizing her up a bit. Until she notices, staring is not a crime. So, I started analyzing her. She was in Mickey mouse hot pants and as usual an oversized tee, and teeny tiny socks. The white headphone was glued to her ears. She had a well-toned body with a little biceps- if it's called 'that' on girls. Years of Karate training had given her that. She won the Karate State Championship- and she could sure fight.

And no, I didn't come to know this fact because she was my friend, but because I had the luck to see her fight with my own eyes.
The first time I met her, she was fighting some senior boys who were trying to rag me. Yes! I was a ninny. But I was just in class-IX and those seniors were from class XII. She fought like a lioness- though I never saw a lioness fight, I was not a discovery channel freak. But she was hell lot brave. From then on, we became the best of friends. And no matter how much I tried she wasn't interested in me. She wasn't even interested in girls-or else I could have at least stepped back tagging her to be a lesbian.

"Done." she jingled suddenly, and I got up from my old... old thoughts.

"How was it?!"

"Beautiful... Enchanting... Magical." She said smiling widely getting up in a sit up position and stretched herself. Oh god! That was so distracting.

"Oh!" I licked my lips, which had gone dry "... right. For a tomboy, I find it hard to believe that you love Barbie!"

"So what, stereotypes. I love it. It's cute and moreover, it's innocent." she argued.

"Innocent, yeah right. What were you watching anyway?"

"Charm school."

"What's that?" I asked, trying to make my face as comical as I could.

"None of your concern Mr. Abhishek Sarkar"-she knew I hated that, I liked being called Abhi, it sounded cool.

"Buck off!" I growled changing F to B as I didn't want her to growl back at me. Her slang dictionary goes through a lot of spelling dysfunction.

"Anyway Avni Deb, Mr. Jain was clearly impressed thanks to you." I got up and bowed before her.

"I know, I heard. You can be even made to head the project for the debate competition this month. You will do a great job by yourself, I'm sure."- She laughed hardly bothered about my success.

"Where did you hear it from?"

"Umm... Never mind." she straightened herself up, but again started laughing after looking at my face.

"Yeah, you can sure laugh your head off. Things are much easier for you, I see. I am done out here. I am going! And... I'm not giving you the credit, it's all mine." ending it, I stomped out of the room slamming the door behind me. I was shouted at and growled at in her room. And yet, she had the guts to laugh at me. I was fake angry.

But even after this antic of mine, all I could hear was her laughter. Someday I will kill her.

****************

Here, I am done with another part. Thanks for bearing on with the story. I hope it's not boring.

And big thanks to paarri for her comments and likes. Thank you so much and everyone should really go and check out on her books. They are really good.

And lastly readers please leave your comments and likes. It would be very kind of you.. :)

Lots of Love!!

Happy Reads!!!