Chapter 5

Close your eyes now and rest,

I opened my eyes peacefully and stared into the darkness ahead. Moonlight softly glowed through the sheer curtains and illuminated the mess I was laying in. All the pale blue floral blankets had been kicked to the floor, and I was swimming in a sea of fluffy pillows. I rolled over, my legs getting tangled in the sheets. I clicked the round button on my phone and the screen showed 3:30. For 3:30 in the morning my head felt pretty clear.
I had helped my family last night into their sleeping situations, and left for bed early. My plan was to get a full night of sleep, but that never happened.
The joys of insomnia
I sat up, my palms sinking into the mattress. I kicked my legs free of the messy sheets, but my left leg got caught. I looked down to examine what was stuck to my leg. The moon and the curtains cast a blue light, allowing me to see many plastic bandages covered up my hives. One of the bandages had come halfway off and had stuck to the sheets. I quickly peeled it off and brought my leg in closer for more examination. I found that my toe I had cut also was covered with a bandage.
I traced my hand over the plastic strips confused. I didn't do this. I shifted my position and swung my legs off the bed. I touched my hands to my mouth and allowed myself to yawn. It was time to get ready for my insomnia routine.
I twisted my spine to do a little bit of stretching. My eyes scanned the dark room and stopped at the white chair by my bed. It was empty. But that was where I put the Brahms doll.
I slid off the bed my feet landed softly on the cold wood floor. I approached the chair in disbelief. This is where I put it, I know I did. I quickly scanned the room again defined nothing but my door wide open. An image of the J girls popped into my head. I could just see them sneaking in here and taking the doll because I took it from them. They were always mischievous.
Angry, I marched to the door ready to find where ever they had hit it. Fear suddenly washed over me as I crossed the threshold of the door. It struck me paralyzed as I just stared out to the dim moonlit hallway. A memory played out in my head. After I brought Morgan's kids more blankets last night, I went to my room to go to bed. And I have locked the door. I locked the door! I turned around and looked back at the chair where Brahms was sitting.
Did Brahms...
I quickly pushed the thought out of my head. Brahms is just a doll it can't move. My world suddenly flipped upside down. The moving doll, my clothes, the pillows. My brain was trying to work out this conspiracy it had formed.
NO NO NO. I shook my head. My mind was so sleep deprived that it kept making me think that the doll was... Alive. I snorted a laugh to keep myself sane. I was just being paranoid.
I pulled on a happy face and softly padded down the hall, careful not to make noise. I turned toward the stairs, A child's laughter floated from below. My veins turned ice. An image of Brahms popped into my head. "Stop it" I said through my teeth. It's just one of Morgan's kids. Her kids are awake at 3:36 in the morning?
I plowed down the last set of stairs and stopped when I reach the bottom. The doll sat in the middle of the room. It's head was tilted up. I walked to the doll cautiously as if it were going to jump and run at any second.
I hovered over it. It's eyes were focused somewhere behind me, as if they were looking at something. I slowly turned my head and my heart stopped in my chest.
It was Abby, the dog.
Her body hung limply in the air, Her collar and leash had become a noose. Blood, thick and dark was dripping onto the floor right in front of the doll. The haunting scene paralyzed me.
I had no idea what to do. I couldn't think, I couldn't scream, I couldn't move. The only thing I could do was watch the dog slowly rock back and forth. I heard a giggle from behind me, and I spun around quickly to find the doll, still on the floor. I stared in shock. My mind whirled and I could feel blood pump in my ears.
I wanted to run, and scream but I couldn't. I wasn't sure where to start. Do I wake Hunter up? Do I pretend that I never saw it and wait for someone else to come across it? I stared at the doll and it's stared back, it's eyes looked like the boy in the pictures. Empty.
without really even thinking I stooped the doll off the floor and ran back to my room. My chest heaved in and out as I set the doll on my bed. My heart was racing and a sick feeling formed in the pit of my stomach. I closed my eyes and swallow down the bile that was threatening to rise.
I blinked rapidly, this had to be a dream. I moved close to the doll and stared at it stoic face, daring it to move. It didn't budge. "Grahhhh!" I groaned. Of course it didn't move! It was a doll! I was going crazy. Abby must have jumped off of the railing and hung herself. That is how it happened.
My heart slowed it's pace as my mind rationalized the situation. I ran my hands through my hair and took a deep breath. But when I looked back to the doll my heart began to beat quickly once again. I leaned close to the doll. Either I was crazy, or there was something paranormal going on. I waved my hand in front of Brahm's face. "Was that you Brahms? Did you hang Abby?"
High-pitched scream interrupted me. Somebody found Abby. The sound of footsteps and muffled questions followed. I could hear the gasps and crying from downstairs. I looked to my door then back to the doll. "Brahms." I asked the doll. Somewhere deep down I hoped that it would move, that it would give me a sign. "Why did you kill her?" My voice shook.
It sat still. I turned and left the room.
~*~
I watched the kids upstairs while everyone else cleaned up the accident. After Abby had been cleaned up and buried, the kids went downstairs for some breakfast. I made sure that they all made it to the kitchen before going back up to my room. Brahms sat on my bed, a torn music page sat in its lap.
I snatched the paper and looked at it, eyes wide. My breath caught and the paper fell out of my hand. My pulse was racing. I closed my eyes but I could still see the words written on the paper.
They didn't follow the rules Danny.