Chapter 24

Lay thee down now to rest,

I didn't dare ask Brahms about the spiders he had ripped apart. I didn't know whether to make a big deal of it or not. They were just spiders right? But at the same time, Brahms had killed people before. Maybe he shouldn't be allowed to hurt any living thing. Did be simply not like spiders? Or did he enjoy ripping them apart? I shivered when I questioned if he got a thrill out of killing. Even if Brahms didn't kill the spiders for fun, It was still disturbing to think that he picked up each individual spider and plucked all their legs out one by one.

I sat at the dinner table with my sister, contemplating what to do. Jen ended up going with my parents to the store and picked out nail polishes so that she could give me a manicure. I guess it was her way of supporting me through this tough time, and I really appreciated the gesture. Mom and dad were in the kitchen, busily making our dinner. The delicious smell of cheesy potatoes wafted into the dining room.

Jen shook the nail polish to mix the lacquer around and sighed. "I really hope that these colors aren't crappy. The crazy lady at the store told me that they were the best quality around but I think they look like crap." I lifted an eyebrow at my sister's statement. "Really Jen? A crazy lady?" I asked her with narrowed eyes. "Mmmmmhmm." She said, twisting the cap on one of the bottles. "But Jen, you call everyone crazy." I said rolling my eyes. My sister's gem green eyes shot up at me. "No dude! I'm not kidding! That store was really weird!" I bit my cheek, curious to see which store they went to. Maybe I had been going there all along and never picked up on its weirdness. "Where did you go?" I asked picking up one of the bottles of nail polish and inspecting it. Jen pursed her lips. She often did that when she was thinking. "It was like some family grocer place. I think it was called Broadhurst or something."

Broadhurst? Never heard of it. Jen combed some hair out of her face and continued, "Yeah all the workers were just kind of weird..." She trailed off as if she was trying to remember something, "Oh yeah! And mom was talking to one of the employees about how we were staying at the old Heelshire house", She said. I cringed. Of course mom would blab to every stranger about what was going on with my life. Jen went on, "And the lady perked up about the house saying that the old owner use to make deliveries to the family here. Ewww and it was so gross! She said that he could read peoples gum! Like a psychic! Isn't that disgusting? He would go around and ask people to spit their gum in his hand! Who does that?"

My sister was obviously mortified by the gum thing, but I couldn't care less. The old owner of Broadhurst use to make deliveries to the Heelshires? Instantly I wanted to meet this man and ask him about what he knew about the house and the family. How many years did he bring them their food? Were they friends. I needed to find out who this guy was. Maybe he had all the answers regarding the old family. Answers that I couldn't get from Brahms.

"Where did the old owner go? Did she say?" Jen looked at me with a pinched nose. "Eww no! why would I even want to find him? I don't want him to touch my gum!" I rolled my eyes. Obviously Jen didn't know anything. It looked like I would have to investigate this further by my self.

Mom and dad came out of the kitchen a few minutes later and placed a giant roast turkey on the table along with some cheesy potato's and fried asparagus. My stomach growled, anxious for me to devour it all. As soon as mom and dad took their places at the table, and we picked up our forks, the doorbell ring. What the heck? Who could possibly be at the door? I didn't have any friends going to stop by at this hour. Or any friends at all.... Sad.

My mom got a cheery look on her face and excused herself from the table. Was mom expecting someone? I turned to Jen who had an excited gleam in her eye. What was going on? "Mom?" I asked as she walked pass me. "Who is at the door?" I asked almost nervously. "You will see!" She sung, followed by a little chuckle. I gritted my teeth. I didn't like the way that sounded.