Chapter 30

The sound of waves filled my ears. The feeling of warm sun melted across my skin. I was In Florida. I looked up to find my father barbecuing, while my mother and Jen splashed along the beach. I was home. They suddenly all turned to me and motioned me to get up and join them. I began to sit up but pain erupted through my body. Suddenly the waves were gone and the air smelt of metal coins.

My lashes fluttered open. Flashes of bright light attacked my vision as I strained my eyes to focus. My eyelids felt too heavy to lift all the way and the room was blurry. The throbbing at the back of my head caused my vision to spot every time it pulsed. A dusty film of plaster coated my skin like a pastry dipped in sugar. My skin felt awfully dry and tight, and I was afraid any movements would somehow snap it. How long had I been out? I stared up at the ceiling. Head spinning so much I couldn't possibly get up yet.

My mind swam and swam, trying to remember what happened, and how I ended up here. The body sized hole in the wall above me quickly jogged my memory, and hurt filled my heart. My vision pricked with hot tears and I reached an aching hand to wipe them away. Plaster and wall residue flaked off my arms from the motion and softly fell to the floor. The pain of how Brahms treated me stung like a knife stabbing me over and over. How could he do this to me. And why? The more I pondered the more I remembered all the instances he had used and abused me. After all, this wasn't the first time I had been thrown at the wall. And judging by the way he has treated me, I guessed this wasn't the last. I couldn't take this anymore.

A panic bubble formed in my throat as I thought of our child growing inside me. If he treats me like this while pregnant, how will he treat this child? My heart dropped. If the baby is even alive. I needed to get help. I needed to save myself and the baby. A burst of energy suddenly coursed through my veins, and I found the strength to get up. An overwhelming sense to protect this child was the only thing driving me. It was a slow process but I eventually sat up. Black spots danced across my vision, threatening to consume me and my head pounded in sync with my heart. I reached back to touch the spot that ached. My hair was matted with blood and plaster and felt almost crunchy from drying in a strange way. The back of my head must have taken much of the force.

After my dizziness cleared with a few deep breaths, I began to crawl towards my room. I wasn't sure if I could stand just yet and I didn't want to risk falling.

At the threshold of the door I paused. veins turning to ice as I realized I didn't know where Brahms was. My heart hammered as I slowly looked up, expecting him to be standing there ready to pick me up and toss me at the wall again. But he wasn't there. I tried my best to calm my breathing and slow my racing heart so I could better hear my surroundings. I strained my ears as hard as I could and couldn't make out anything. Good.

I needed to get some clothes on, then find my phone to call the police. I wasn't quite sure what I was going to tell them. I reached my dresser and pulled out undies, a baggy sweater, and joggers. I wasn't too concerned about looking fashionable. I vigorously chewed my lip as I quickly flopped into my clothes. I glanced up at the bed where my purse lay, my phone buried inside somewhere. I needed to stand and nearly groaned at the prospect. I shifted to a kneeling position then planted one foot and lifted my body.

Sparks danced across my vision and I quickly backed up against the dresser before I could collapse. I pressed my hand to my stomach, as if somehow I could feel the child inside me and make sure they were still alive. Make sure their little heart was still beating. Did they even have a heart yet? The back of my eyes stung and tears tried to form once again. My nose stung and I tried my best to fight them back. I didn't have time for this.

I crept towards the bed and reached for my purse. My hands shook so bad I could barely grasp anything, and with tears blurring my vision I could hardly see anything. Eventually my fingers grazed the glass screen and I was able to grasp and pull it from the purse. My reflection in the dark glass was unrecognizable. There was a lot more blood than I thought and the dark circles under my eyes made me look ghoulish. I looked exactly how I felt. Broken.