Chapter Eight

The current inhabitants of the Gardiner Public Library turned their discussion to societal norms.

"Your culture is not matriarchal?" Bear inquired.

Anna replied, "The sexes are supposed to be equal, but for thousands of years men have had a dominant role in society. It's gotten better the last two hundred years or so."

Bear recalled a book he had read only hours ago. "Women's suffrage?"

Anna began to reply, "Well, anti-discrimination policies..." She trailed off when Bear stood and looked toward the door. Anna drew in a breath to ask what was wrong, but Bear held up a hand, dismissing her query.

Anna leaned over to Garret, "Something's wrong."

Returning the module to his pocket, Garret only grunted. Conversation skills were not his forte. At social functions she was the one networking and mingling. On more than one occasion, she had had to drag Garret by the arm to meet someone who could further his research or career. When the topic turned to something he was interested in, he was quite articulate - speaking fervently with emotion. This night he mostly responded with varying grunts and the occasional monosyllable. His disinterest in all things not Garret resulted in very few friends and tonight it wasn't earning him any points with Anna.

Bear walked swiftly to the south corner of the library and splayed his fingers on a wall. Anna was getting used to that four-fingered hand, but it still gave her pause each time she saw it.

Bear, still communing with the wall, leaned his head back slightly and squeezed his eyes closed. He appeared to be concentrating intently on something.

His eyes snapped open and he spoke in a hushed, hurried voice. "Danger's coming."

Anna quickly responded, "How do you know?"

"I don't really know, but there's a weird magnetic field approaching. I think I felt it before, but I thought it was the excitement of meeting an alien."

Garret grunted once again. He didn't subscribe to the idea of being an alien on his own planet. Anna disregarded her husband's acrimony and felt a gnawing fear in the pit of her stomach.

"How strong is it?" she whispered.

"Very strong. Two, maybe three kilometers away."

Anna did a quick calculation in her head, "A little over a mile and a half. It's a skimmer." She turned to Garret, "We gotta get moving; the military knows we're here."

* * *

While his companions struggled to gear up, Bear moved quickly through the library doors. He stood in a little area between a wall and a book return at the bottom of the access ramp, scanning the southern horizon.

Fortunately, the moon was still full and he saw it immediately. The skimmer banked sharply and set down in what was once a park in front of the library. Bear took three long strides toward the skimmer and leaped. He landed on the roof of the skimmer and leapt anew. Clearing the skimmer, he sprinted towards Roosevelt Arch. He was in full survival mode; each stride moving him further from danger. He didn't look back; Anna and Garret were on their own.

* * *

Colonel Mathers was about to give the order when a blur was visible from the forward viewing ports. The computer guidance system registered an impact on the roof. An alarm permeated the cockpit demanding immediate response from the pilot.

Mathers leaned through the cockpit opening. "What the hell was that?"

"Roof impact, Sir. Thermals show something was there - only for a moment. Not large enough to be a person. Maybe a large bird?"