Part 14

Once we were in his room, Gerard gently set me on the bed. He climbed in with me and pulled me into his chest. "I'm so glad you're ok." He whispered then kissed me on my forehead. I pushed him on his back and laid my head on his chest while wrapping my arm around his stomach. "I think I love you." I said quietly. I knew that this would be news to him and probably very unexpected but I had to say it.

I heard his sharp intake of breath and I looked up at his face. I was expecting him to try and make excuses or tell me it was too soon but he said or did none of that. He stared at me in complete awe as he cupped my face and gently pushed his lips on mine. It only lasted a couple of seconds to my chagrin but it was very sweet. I could tell he didn't want to overwhelm me.

"I love you, Scarlet. I know for sure that I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Everything you said earlier, it's not true. You are worthy and beautiful and the strongest person that I've ever met. It's me that doesn't deserve you. I was Omega too. I know what it is to be considered a weakling but you're by far the opposite. You've put up with so much, I'm surprised you're still here. I wish I could offer you more but I can only give you my love and my undying devotion." I kissed his chest and hugged his middle tighter. How could he say that he doesn't deserve me? "I don't want to overwhelm you but I need you to know why I was Omega." I looked up at him and nodded. I was completely taken aback by what he said.

He took a deep breath and looked away. "I killed my mate."

My whole world stopped. Out of all the things he could've done, I never imagined that. I was almost expecting him to tell me that he hadn't actually done anything and that it was all a misunderstanding. My sweet, loving Gerard surely couldn't have committed such a horrible crime. "I found my mate when I was fifteen. It is somewhat unusual to find your mate that young but it does happen. She was eighteen and already seeing someone else. I was heartbroken when she rejected me but I let her go. She wanted the other guy and I knew that I couldn't keep her tied to me when it wasn't what she wanted.

The whole school found out that I was her mate and teased her mercilessly; even after the rejection. Her then boyfriend broke up with her and she got angry. She blamed it all on me, saying that it was all my fault and that I was a terrible mate and she would always hate me. I was again heartbroken. I found her one night at a party when she was trying to drive herself home and I knew that I couldn't let her even with everything that happened.

She resented me and while I was driving, she tried to fight me. She shifted into her wolf and tried to take a chunk of my arm. I lost control of the vehicle and crashed into the side of the bridge. I hit the brakes before but it still hit and she went flying off of the bridge after going through the windshield. I was wearing my seatbelt but she wasn't. They made me Omega because they said that I deserved it after killing a fellow pack member. They just wouldn't hear my side of things so I accepted it. I didn't want to go rogue so I stayed.

I have been wanting to tell you that ever since the day we figured out that we were mates. I didn't want you to go into this without knowing who I really am and what I've done." I could tell he was anxious about what I was going to say. Did he honestly think that I would not be with him because of that?

After everything that I've been through and he's still by my side? I told him the only thing that was going through my mind. "I'm so sorry." His eyes snapped to mine and realization settled in them. He started standing up from the bed. "I understand." His solemn voice sent a pang to my heart. "What are you doing?" He turned around looking confused. "You don't want to be with me." What? "What the hell are you talking about? Get back into this bed and cuddle me and let me cuddle you!"

His eyes widened but he did as he was told. "How could you think that I wouldn't want you after everything you've done for me? I meant that I was sorry that happened to you. I'm sorry that you've had to live with that but did I not just tell you that I think I love you?" I think this was the most I've talked to Gerard and definitely the bossiest I've ever been. I hoped he would be ok with it because I didn't want to go back to being the quiet, submissive slave. For the first time in my life, I wanted to live unhindered by what others want. I felt like I deserved at least that.

His lips crashed on mine, taking me by surprise. With this kiss, I could feel him accepting everything that I was just as much as I accepted everything that he was. I could tell that even though he was trying to be gentle, he needed this. He needed just as much reassurance and coddling as I did and we could be that for each other. In that moment, I knew that I was going to love him with every fiber of my being and with as much fervor and adoration as I could manage. He deserved a love like no other and I was going to be that for him because he chose me.

Out of everyone, he wanted me to be by his side and share a life with. I couldn't have been happier in that moment of realization that he honestly wanted me for me. Everyone had been wrong, Damien had been wrong; I was lovable and I was worth something.

Maybe the moon goddess didn't make a mistake by making Owen my mate. Without him, I wouldn't have Gerard and he wouldn't have me. Even if my life had been a living hell, I ended up with more than I ever could have bargained for. Damien was locked away. I had a loving mate. I even had my parents. To top it all off, I was going to become an Elder, one of the most powerful and respected of the werewolf community.

In my wildest dreams did I ever think that after putting up with all of the bullshit, I would end up with so much. I knew that I would spend my life helping whoever needed it the most, like no one had done for me until it was too late. No one should go through what I did and I would be there for whoever I could. Life is funny. Who would have ever thought it would end up this way after such a twist of fate.

The End.