[5] rivalry

-

- Max's POV -

-

It came as a shock to Max when he found out he was part of the New Seven. It came as a bigger shock to find out that he personally knew two of the Seven.

Cory glared at him when he introduced himself to the group. Max didn't blame him. He was an immature hot-head at the orphanage, and treated Cory and Nick like trash.

Okward left the group for a while. "To get some supplies," he had said.

Now, they were alone.

Shelby looked accusingly at Max. "Did you really bully Cory and Nick at the orphanage?"

Max glared at Shelby. "What do you think?"

"I think, 'yes,'" Shelby said. "My other question is, why?"

Max only glared harder (if that's even possible).

Shelby didn't flinch. "Why, Max? Why would you make someone's life miserable? Max, you don't have to make someone sad just because you're mad, Max, and--"

"You know what, shut up!" Max screamed. Everyone turned to look at Max. He was breathing heavily.

Cory advanced. "Max, what are you--"

"SHUT UP! JUST SHUT UP!" Max screamed louder. He didn't know what overcame him.

Fire appeared at his side, starting to take the shape of a weapon. A bow. His vision was red. He couldn't see.

He drew back.

He released the arrow.

***

- Shelby's POV -

When Shelby saw the fiery missile heading towards her face, it was almost like she had acted on her own accord. But, just like with Max, it wasn't on her own accord.

Her powers acted for her. She reached out with her right hand, the one with the ring, and a bright pink glow engulfed it. When it vanished, Shelby was holding a sword.

She didn't have time to admire it. Adrenaline coursed through her veins as she stepped aside and cut the arrow in half in one fluid motion.

The others were staring at her and Max in shock. Cory especially. He stepped to Shelby's side and asked her, "Shelby, you okay?"

She nodded numbly, still staring at Max, who had lowered his bow. Max glared at her before the bow dissolved into a dozen fiery particles. He stomped off.

Shelby looked down at the sword that had saved her life. It had a golden hilt and a matching handle. If someone took a look at it, the sword looked like it would slip out of their hand in combat, but it actually had a good grip. A glowing pink blade jutting out from the handle.

Shelby concentrated. The sword, just like Max's bow, dissolved into a bunch of tiny pink hearts.

Someone cleared their throat. They all turned to see Okward looking ahead in awe, the supposed supplies forgotten. He walked towards Shelby, stopping when he reached the arrow Max had launched at her, which was embedded in the ground.

He knelt down and yanked it from the ground.

Okward smiled. "It seems some of you already know how to summon your weapons. This is perfect. If the rest of you can as well, then we are already prepared for an attack from the Evil."

"I will teach you individually. Shelby, Max, you already know how. This is perfect, especially for you Shelby.  As the Seven of Love, the Evil will be aiming to capture, kill, or turn you."