Chapter 5: Held against her will

Sophie

***

I'm an idiot.

And he's a fucking asshole!

He never kept his word! Instead he kept me locked up in that room!

 I was a prisoner but I knew that I had more amenities than normal prisoners. My room was in the basement with no windows, which was nice due to my new undead situation. It was big enough to have a bed, a small table and chair and a tv and there was still somewhat room to walk around freely. The door and the walls were the problem, though. The door wasn't wooden like I had been expecting, but made entirely out of steel and the walls were slick, gray congrete. So, even with my newly aquired vampire strength, neither the walls nor the door would bulge against my kicks and punches.

Screaming got me nowhere for two reasons: a) I never heard any outdoor commotion during the nights, so either that vampire had killed everyone in the vicinity or that they lived in the middle of nowhere, and b) it was impossible for me to stay awake during the day. I had tried one time but that left me feeling so sick and exhausted that I puked my guts out and passed out cold. So at least, I had worked out the conclusion that vampires could, with some practise and just big old stubbornness, survive somewhat going outside during the day but eventually due to sheer exhaustion and physical restraint, they would have to rest.

I kept myself busy in ways a normal teenager would do; read books, play video games and watch tv. Martin, my captor, had provided me with stacks of various books, from young adult to autobiographies stolen from a nearby library. He had also given me retro video game consoles so I could play the old games, like Super Mario Bros. and Sonic the Hedgehog. I argued that I preferred the new consoles but Martin did not comply because he knew that the internet could be accessed through those consoles.

The tv only gave me local channels and I felt pissed that he couldn't at least afford cable for me. So I had to endure the long isolation by watching many reruns of boring tv shows and the local news. I had to admit that I was a bit surprised that nothing had been covered in the news about my family's murder and of my disappearance but then again, I had had no idea how long I had been passed out after Martin had turned me. Besides, people disappear from the highway all the time and no one bats an eyelid. The local news were boring in my opinion but by watching it from time to time, I was able to tell how long I had been captured.

Days, weeks, even months flew by. I did sometimes receive visitors, though. Or should I say walking bloodbags?

My first prey was a ten-year-old boy. He had short, wispy, brown hair, his body a little round, especially in the tummy area, and his clothes were a little dirty. He looked like the typical disobedient child who threatened his parents that he would run away. He held a box of Oreos in his small hands as Martin led him inside and then closed the door.

"Hey there," I said in a low voice, trying my best not to startle the child.

Too late, he flinched and looked fearfully in my direction. I emerged slowly from the corner of the bed and grinned. Thankfully my teeth looked normal but I felt the stinging within my gums, my canines were threatening to slide down.

Not yet, I convinced myself.

"How come you're here too?" asked the boy, easing up a bit when he saw another kid and studied the interior of the room with childish curiosity. He spotted the tv and the video game consoles and squealed with joy. "Oh yes! The man told me there would be video games!"

I didn't answer him as I was too busy trying to look as normal as possible. The Hunger was rising within me at a rapid speed, making me sweat with trepidation. I gripped the rim of the bed until my knuckles turned white. I watched the boy silently as he sat down on the floor and fiddled around with the game controllers, his rounded face scrunched up in confusion.