Chapter 29: Reunion

Sophie

I glance between the sleeping Leia who's slumped awkwardly forwards, and Kenji who's focused on stitching Leia's wound.

„She's OK, right?" I ask nervously, kneeling down to check if my anxious friend is sleeping soundly or not.

Leia's chest rises and falls in perfect rhythm and there's even a serene smile playing on her chapped lips, like she's dreaming something pleasant. Her sleeping form always seems to make her look much younger, almost to the age when we first met. Before all this chaos, when we were just stupid junior high schoolers. Despite not wanting anything to do with my past, I must admit that I do miss those times.

„She's fine," says Kenji, snapping me out of my reverie. „You were the one who told me to charm her," he adds defensively.

My brows furrow in worry nonetheless. „I know," I sigh, brushing my hair behind my ears. „But she's not gonna be happy when she finds out."

„So don't tell her then," Kenji straightens up, rubbing his shoulder before leaning forwards again to take a look at his handiwork. I peek at it too and am genuinely impressed. The stitches are big but they're so close together it manages to draw the skin tighter to make it appear like there's no gap at all.

„That should do it for the time being," Kenji says, rising up and picking up the bloody gauzes from the sofa table. He gives me a stern look before walking towards the kitchen. „She can't use that arm much, though. If possible, it would be best to take her to the hospital for proper check up and perhaps just consider leaving her there."

I shake my head. „No can do," I reply stubbornly, returning his steely glare. „She goes wherever I go,"

„Amd why is that, if you don't mind me asking?" Kenji inquires, his glass of bourbon in his hand, eyebrow raised. „Why drag a human in your mess? We've all heard of your screw-up and I'm pretty sure they're out there looking for you. By coming here, you're involving me into your fuck-up and I'm not particularly happy about that." His voice is calm but I can sense his anger rumbling underneath. „So tell me, why should I keep you here and not throw you to the hungry, hungry wolves?"

„You wouldn't do that," I say at once, although my blood runs cold in my veins that has nothing to do with my undead situation.

Kenji's lips curve into a sneer, which is so uncharacteristic of him that he looks downright menacing. „What makes you think otherwise?"

I clench my fists at my sides and will myself to speak calmly, although I want nothing more than to scream and argue. „Because despite the current fuck up and the way we left things, I know deep down that I can always count on you and your protection. In a way, you're my guardian," I add the last thing very quietly, avoiding his gaze.

There's a long, painstaking silence, except for the crackle of flames in the fireplace. I dare to glance up and find myself annoyed that I can't read Kenji's expression. He just stares at me with that hard, blazing look in his eyes.

Finally he says in an almost inaudible voice. „I'm not your guardian, Sophie. Grigori is."

I scoff nastily. „You did way more for me than he ever did," I retort, glaring at the floor as bitter memories from two years ago threaten to resurface. I don't want to dwell on them, so I push them back.

„That's beside the point," Kenji continues with an exaspirated sigh. „If you're looking for a way out of this, then I can't help you. But Grigori might."

„I'm not too hopeful though," I admit and throw myself on the sofa. „Do you even think that he will allow me to see him?"

Kenji gives me a sad smile as he takes a seat opposite me. He rolls the glass between his hands, looking thoughtful. „Whether he allows you or not, he's obligated to see you because he's your guardian." He's about to take a sip before he reconsiders and then hands me the glass. „Here, considering everything, you need this more than I do."