Chapter 35: Sophie's origin

The first thing that I sense, rousing me, is a horrible stench. Of spoiled meat and decay. I awake with a jolt that only results in a blinding headache. I groan, clutching my head. My neck is still sore from what I can assume is Kenji's handiwork. Though I'm sure a big guy like him could have finished me in one strike.

"I'm glad Kenji went easy on you," I hear Sophie's voice say quietly.

I snap my eyes open. Sophie is sprawled on the bench opposite me, her arms resting behind her head. She's completely calm. I look around and see nothing but iron bars surrounding the room. Nothing else. Not even a window.

"Are these supposed to hold you off?" I ask, indicating the bars. "I'm sure all vampires can bend them easily."

"Of course," Sophie scoffs.

"Then do it and let's get out of here!" I demand, getting to my feet and swaying slightly. The headache comes rushing back, making me nauseous. I have to sit down again and close my eyes, taking several deep breaths.

"I could but I won't be able to fend off the two ghouls that are standing guard behind that door," she points at the metal door at the far end of the room.

My stomach churns. That's where the decomposing stench comes from. I wrinkle my nose in disgust and try to shake the memory of the first ghoul out of my head. It doesn't help, it only increases the throbbing headache.

"How can you be so calm?" I ask her. "It's over, isn't it? Game over, man. Game over!"

"In a matter of speaking, I suppse so," Sophie says softly.

"And what's that supposed to mean?" I hiss, glaring at her. "We're about to die! Die, Sophie! We went through tons of shit, just so we can be executed at your guardian's place, huh?! I took a fucking bullet for and for what?!"

I spring to my feet, my chest heaving like I've done a sprint. My hearts thumps loudly in my ears as I continue to shout: "We came here for nothing! If you already knew that it was pointless, then why did we come? To say your farewell to your guardian? To allow him to ridicule you?"

"Fuck no!" Sophie growls angrily but I cut across her, turning away and clutching my head.

"Oh god, we're really going to die, aren't we? Oh god, oh god, oh god," I gasp, feeling out of breath, like no oxygen will ever go through my lungs again. I'm feeling dizzy and my chest stings with every labored breath I can summon. I collapse on my knees, feeling fire raging through me, only to be covered in chilling ice seconds after. Is death going to be like this? Slow and painful? Every cell in my body screams to be released, to end the suffering.

Cold arms wrap themselves around me. I tense up, squirming but they hold tight. I vaguely catch a whiff of coconut as dark hair tickles my nose.

"You're not going to die," Sophie whispers soothingly. "Not if I can help it,"

My hand, which had been busy scratching the bandages on my arm, immediately slinks around Sophie's waist, like a drowning man who clutches a lifesaver.

"How can you be so sure?" I sob, my voice raw and hoarse from my parched throat.

"I just do," she says matter-of-factly. "Now, when you feel like it, try to calm down and we can discuss this better."

I push the glasses up as I rub my knuckles on my eyes, trying to stifle the waterfall. My breath is still short and ragged but I can no longer feel pressure at the front of my skull nor the numbness in my fingers. I'm slowly coming down.

"There you go," Sophie says appreciatively and I hear the praise.

It's awkward clapping my hands when the other one is in a sling but I somehow manage it. Sophie smiles at me. It's not a sad smile, but a warm one, yet I detect something else in her eyes.