Chapter 16: A bloody surprise

"Why the fuck do I have to push this piece of crap?" Sophie whines for the umphteenth time.

I almost groan out loud in annoyance but think better of it, as it's best not to piss off an already grumpy vampire.

"Because a) you're much stronger than I am, and b) I can barely walk properly because my body is too sore from dragging you here in the middle of the day." I explain lightly.

We've been walking through the Wrangell-St. Elias National Preserve for several hours now. It's pitch black outside, despite the starry sky and moon shining brightly down on us. We have to rely on our last remaining flashlight, that I'm carrying, and Sophie's ability to see in the dark.

It would have been a somewhat pleasant trek if it wasn't for the occasional howling heard in the distance. I tense up, freezing in my tracks each time I hear those howlings. I frantically flash the beam in every direction, as if I'm expecting a pack of wolves to be standing there in front of me.

Sophie snickers. "They're not going to hurt you," she remarks casually.

I don't believe her. To make it even worse, she throws back her head and makes a howling sound, mimicking the howling of the wolves. It echoes around us and I wait, holding my breath and clutching the flashlight in sheer, fearful anticipation. Silence, then a distant howling coming from every direction.

"I thought you were used to camping and hiking in the wilderness," Sophie laughs viciously as she pushes forward, paying no further regard to me as I'm rooted to the ground.

I exhale shakily and wobble towards her, even though my body wants nothing better to do than to lie down. It hurts with every step I take, but I bear with it as I have no desire to be left alone in the middle of the woods.

"I am," I wheeze, panting and painfully aware of the sweat-soaked clothes that are clinging uncomfortably to me. "But we camped in places where there is no obvious danger of wild animals attacking us."

"Don't worry. They wouldn't attack you," says Sophie.

I frown as I catch up with her, noticing within the beam of the flashlight that she hasn't even broken a sweat. Damn her and her vampiric strength! "Why not?"

Sophie pinches her nose and her sneers come out nasally, "Because you stink! They wouldn't touch you with a ten-feet pole!" She cackles loudly.

The childish insult shouldn't hurt me but it does nonetheless. I become more self-conscious of my physical exertion and the puddles upon puddles it produces. My cheeks grow even warmer and I wish I could hide my face (and my body odor).

"You don't think something else can smell me?" I ask as the realization hits me like a punch in the stomach. Most predators rely on scent to hunt their prey. Do vampires do the same?

Sophie glances at me for a moment before facing forward. "Maybe," she replies nonchalantly.

Shit!

I stop and get ready to undress when she puts a cold hand on my own.

"Don't."

I blink in surprise. "Why not? The vampires, they could smell me, you know?"

Sophie shakes her head. "They're going to be looking for my scent, not yours," she explains and gently straightens my woolen sweater. "Your stink actually camoflauges mine." She winks at me.

I grimace, mumbling "how convenient," under my breath as I trudge along beside her.

"Besides, you should be more worried about bears prowling the night," she points out cheerfully, ignoring my look of horror. "They usually come out of their hibernation around this time of year, right? They wake up awfully hungry, you know?" She gnashes her teeth playfully as a silly demonstration and I can't help but to gulp a mouthful of stress-induced saliva at the thought of it.