Chapter 18: Long road to ruin

Oblivion.

Hello darkness, my old friend.

I want it to be my home but for some reason, my body nor mind never wish to stay there for too long.

My ears pick up music in the distance and my other senses wake up to the sound of upbeat drums and guitar. My forehead feels cool as it's rested on a hard but smooth surface but it occasionally bangs into that surface. Not too hard that it hurts but hard enough to bring me back from my slumber. Groaning, I force myself to open my eyes just a sliver.

My head is resting against a glass window where everything outside goes by fast in a blur. Not that there's much to see as it's still pitch black outside. It takes a tremendous amount of effort to turn my head in the other direction and suddenly I'm hit with a pang of a headache that nestles itself in the middle of my forehead. I spot Sophie in the driver's seat, eyes on the road, her jaw clenched in sheer concentration.

"Where are we?" My voice comes out raspy, like I've been eating sand for days. I swallow several times and I find an unsettling taste in my mouth.

"We're in a car, on our way to see Greg, remember?" Sophie replies calmly though I hear the strain in her voice, like she's struggling with something.

I moan as I try to move around in my seat, realizing that we are indeed in a moving car. "How?" I groan, shutting my eyes closed as the headache buries deeper into my skull.

"I found it in the mechanic's garage. Hotwired it, removed the licence plates and stuffed you and our bags inside," she explains.

"Do you even know how to drive a car?" I blurt out, finding it hard to believe that any cop would sanction a 15-year-old the right to drive.

Despite seeing nothing but darkness with my eyes screwed shut, I can still sense Sophie's ice piercing glare boring into me.

"Of course I can," she snorts haughtily. "As long it's automatic," she adds mumbling under her breath. I hear the sound of loose plastic being rummaged through and something cold drops on my lap.

"Here, drink it," Sophie orders me. "I snagged a few from the store along with some food."

I squint my eyes open and see a water bottle cradled in my lap. Like a man suffering from heatstroke in the blistering desert, I snatch it up and gulp it greedily down in almost one huge swig. The water tastes heavenly and washes away the bad taste in my mouth. My foot touches the plastic bag and I immediately search the food. My hands grab lukewarm hotdogs and I hungrily scarf it down, like I haven't eaten in days.

Which is sort of true. . .

"Easy on the food," Sophie can't help but chuckle at my greed but I don't listen, grabbing a danish pastry from the bag and stuffing it in my mouth. My cheeks are all puffed out like a chipmunk and Sophie snickers. Eating this fast and this much in such a small amount of time does not agree with my stomach and it rumbles uncomfortably, so I force myself to chew slowly, savouring each bite with relish.

"Do you want some?" I ask inbetween chews, handing her a hotdog.

Sophie grimaces. "That's not what I need right now," she winces when she adjusts the seat and I notice for the first time that her left hand is clutching her side. It's covered in dark blood.

My eyes widen in shock. "You're hurt!" I gasp, dropping the sausage and in my panic, begin looking for bandages in the bag. It's only then that I notice the blisters and the flecks of dried flesh-coloured substance on my hands.

My stomach churns and everything that happened before I blacked out comes rushing back to me.

The ghoul.