Part Four: Happy Birthday

'Happy birthday to Lacey, Happy birthday to me.' I sang the sad song under my breath as the clock ticked for midnight. I let out a long sigh and watch the cloud flow out of my mouth. the cold metal beds sent shivers down my spine and I lay still feeling what felt like the Arctic Ocean run from my toes to my fingers. November 27th it's my 19th birthday and where am I? A jail cell....

'Rise and shine Bitch!' Martha, my cell mate. She's here for beating up her wife. She hit her so hard that she had to get plastic surgery in her nose. I sat up to face all the lights turning on in the hall.
'Morning Martha,' I grumbled half awake.
'It's ya'll birthday! Happy birthday!' She walked over to my bed and sat next to me and handed me a bag. Surprised I let it rest on my lap. 'Open it silly!'
I smile at her 'Thanks Martha.'
I open the bag and pull out a chain anklet. 'Martha, it is beautiful, thank you,' I gave her a big hug.
'It's fine, it's from all of us!' She smiled and started laughing.
By all of us, she means our little group. Martha is the leader, then there's Lisa and Beth who are second leaders. These practically run our inter ward. Then Meg and I tag alone with them. I guess we're all friends. However they all did their crime, I didn't.

It was just after lunch when a police officer walked over to us sitting at our bench.
Lisa was laughing her head of at a story Beth was telling us.
'And then when I got home I found the goddamn Alpaca in my garden!' We all started laughing until the officer was next to our table.
'Good after noon officer!' Beth let out a giggle and a sarcastic hello.
'I need you Lacey to come with me,' the girls started cueing at me as I was walked of with her.
'You have a visitor,' I haven't had a visitor in over a year, maybe it's Jack.
'Who is it?' The officer shook her head as she opened the door for me to enter the room. I sat down and lifted the phone to my ear slowly. The lights turned on from the other side. They were flickering against my skin, showing every freckle and spot. I didn't recognise him. He looked early twenties, long dark hair. A little bit of facial hair. He was just wearing a hoodie and held the phone to his ear.
'Hello Lacey, how are you?'