Chapter Six.

A few weeks passed by in relative peace; save for the few males who couldn’t keep their hands to themselves. “Eve there’s a pack barbeque tonight; you can borrow one of my swimsuits.” Jenna said, bursting into my room where I sat reading a book, the same book I’d been reading the day I left.

“And if I don’t want to?” I asked uninterested, flicking to the next page of the book without glancing at her.

I heard her growl before she grabbed the book and stood angrily in front of me. “Well you damn well better pull your head out of your ass! You’ve been home for three weeks now and you’re going back to your old ways; locking yourself in your room and emerging only when no one else is around!”

“Seven years and I still don’t belong here; do you not see that?” I asked, standing and walking towards the door. “I have a year’s leave before I return to the military and I’m not even sure if I want to spend another week here; I’m not welcomed by half your pack and the other half doesn’t care.”

I headed towards the kitchen to eat my body weight in pickles; I’d always loved the salty taste but I’d really wanted them for a few days now. I took a seat on one of the counters, out of the way of the ladies who were making salads for tonight and marinating the meat.

“Hey Eve.” Pierre strolled into the kitchen shirtless and poured himself a glass of water. He was wearing swimming shorts that were wet with water slowly dripping down his chest; it was definitely not the worst sight in the world. “How’ve you been?”

I shrugged my shoulders and swallowed the pickle. “I’ve been better; it’s kind of boring around here.”

He winked and skulled his water. “That’s because you haven’t been hanging with the right guys.”

 “Really? Who could these ‘guys’ be?” I asked sarcastically with a light teasing tone. “Could they be friends with a certain Frenchman?”

He smiled and helped me down from the stool, closing the jar and putting it back in the fridge for me. “They could be and I’m sure that they’ve wanted to meet you since you showed Tom who’s boss.” We walked outside but Jenna stopped us and pressed a few pieces of material into my hands while giving me a determined look.

I sighed and walked into the downstairs bathroom, stripping quickly and putting on the swimsuit. I’d always been curvy and after I’d joined the army and lost weight I’d still kept my chest and ass. Unfortunately the swimsuit did nothing to cover my chest as it was strapless with thin black strings that connected the two strips of fabric that sat on my boobs. It felt strange as I’d usually wear a tight sports bra which kept them bound tightly. The bottoms were no better and were basically a thong with a triangle that covered my downstairs area and black straps holding it place. Everything was on display and I felt naked.

When I stepped out of the bathroom Jenna swooped in and took my clothes. “Give me the tags.” I shook my head and glared at her; they would never come off, they were as much a part of me as my scars. She shrugged and shoved me towards Pierre. “Have fun.”

I turned back to glare at her but she was gone. I honestly could kill that woman. I let out a frustrated breath as Pierre led me outside, his hand on the small of my back to guide me.

The pool was just like I remembered and there weren’t many people in it yet and the barbeque hadn’t started either. A large group of guys with a few girls mixed in were playing a game of volleyball in the pool and Pierre led us over to them. The pack had grown substantially since I’d left and most of the people I didn’t know or recognise.

Pierre jumped into the pool and I was left standing on the ledge with dozens of eyes on me. I stood tall before sliding into the pool and joining him. We joked around and laughed, playing volleyball and talking with the other people around us as the food began cooking.