Chapter Twenty.

The shrill ringing of a phone bought me out of deep slumber and I jolted awake, unable to move with Kade’s thick arms wrapped around me. I elbowed him in the side as a light snore escaped him. His eyes opened and he groaned, rolling over and taking me with him. The phone continued ringing and I stretched my arms up, my fingers brushing the black device.

I grabbed it and slid my finger across the screen, tucking my hair behind my ear as I answered. “Eve Holt.”

“Eve you’re leave time is up in two days and you’re required to return for mental and physical revaluations-”

The rest of what the sergeant said was drowned out as I looked down at Kade. I ran a finger over his cheek as his eyes fluttered open and he stared at me.

I had to go back; I had to leave Kade and my family again, this time though, I didn’t want to go.

“Eve? Eve are you there?”

“Yeah.”

“Good we expect you at the latest by 0900 Sunday; say your goodbyes and pack your bags because afterwards you could be immediately put back into active duty. See you then.” My heart felt heavy as I hung up the phone and I couldn’t look Kade in the eye.

“I-I’m going to go get breakfast.” Without looking back I ran out as fast as I could, searching for Griff, Gunner and Jack. I found them in the dining room; plates piled high with food, shovelling it into their mouths like it was their last meal.

I went up to them and bent down. “I just got a call from command.”

Jack exploded into a fit of coughing and reached for a glass of water. After a few sips he turned and looked at me. “Command called you? What did they want?”

I looked up at the few people that were giving us curious looks and I patted his shoulder. “Meet me at the lake in ten; make sure that you are not followed.” I didn’t want anyone catching wind that command had called until I was ready; I would be disappointing many people by leaving.

I picked a large piece of bacon off Jack’s plate before walking away.

-

“Why did command call?” Griffin wasted no time in grilling me for answers when the three boys found me at the lake.

I turned with a solemn expression. “I am to be revaluated and sent back into active duty.”

They stared at me confused. “For some reason you don’t seem very happy about this; I thought you loved the military? You fought tooth and nail when the wanted to give you an honourable discharge and convinced them to give you another chance; what’s changed?” Gunner asked, taking a seat.

“I changed.” I looked out over the lake, to the mountains and forests behind it. “\I’m not sure if I want to go back anymore.”

“Then don’t; you don’t have to do anything that you don’t want to do. If you’re happy here then stay; simple as.” Jack chimed in.

“No, don’t you see? It’s not that simple! I worked my ass off when I joined and went through hell to get into the SAS; I was the first woman to join for god’s sake! I have sacrificed my life in the service of the people that can’t protect themselves; been tortured, shot and beaten. I am a soldier, I will always be a soldier and I am so damn proud of what I’ve accomplished. I will not just leave because I feel like I’d miss a few people; I’m immortal, I’ll see them again someday.”

There was silence as we were all caught in our own thoughts. Somehow, despite all my talk, I still didn’t feel like I really wanted to return; but I would, I had to.