Chapter 32 - Lost

Harry's POV

I regretted passing the opportunity to tell the guy off. Who the hell did he think he was to trespass? The guts! And the fact that Thalia had been so warm and affectionate with him was driving me over the edge. He was probably her boyfriend. She'd never mentioned having one. In light of her utter lack of experience in that aspect, I didn't think she'd have one.

Even if they were together, who gave them the right to be so lovey-dovey in the backyard of my home? A honk sounded from an Audi whizzing past me and I countered with a blare multiple times louder, eventhough I was the one at fault. I'd driven past a red light. My nails jabbed into the steering wheel as my anger reeled.

Mrs Jones from down the street had informed me once before that she'd seen a guy loitering around my compound. Had he been coming around whenever I was away? Had Thalia been spending time with him all this while? As messed up as it was, she was still my property. She was living with me. She was mine. Well, atleast until this afternoon.

Unlike what Thalia had assumed, I hadn't been on a 'date' today. I'd spent all morning in that filthy dump of a place Richard owned. I had to sign so many papers and I had to wait around for them to amend contracts - absurd bullshit. I had imagined Thalia being dragged into the brothel, I pictured her crying. I couldn't bear the thought. She would fit in anywhere else but there. I wanted her out of this mess as soon as possible.

By the afternoon, the contract had been revoked. What my dad said about the contract being unchangeable had been a lie. When he found out, he would probably nag me and tell me that I wasn't man enough but I couldn't care less. Thalia was free. Letting go of her was the last  thing I wanted to do, but seeing her so unhappy devastated me. I didn't want her to be this way. And I didn't want to be the cause of her misery.

I was aware that I was hurting her, as I was being hurt. She didn't know that, and she won't. She also had no idea that I'd spent two whole weeks painting a portrait of her and perfecting it. Or atleast I had thought she didn't. She'd been to my art room. Maybe she knew now that all those glimpses I'd been taking at her weren't sleazy, pointless ones.

I had been wanting her so badly I began to scare myself. I thought about her more than necessary. I wanted to touch her and kiss her everytime I saw her. I had gotten to the point where even the smallest contact gave me a great sense of satisfaction. And suddenly other girls seemed... uninteresting. That really terrified me.

I didn't like the effect she was having on me, I didn't like anyone having an effect on me. But it grew day by day. It wasn't supposed to happen. My plan was to get through college, marry Kaylee so my dad would shut up and then swim in money, more than what I had now.

Everything would be handed to me on a silver platter. But I'd been having different thoughts about the direction my life was headed. It didn't appeal to me as much as it used to, but I'd decided that it was most feasible choice.

And I needed to let Thalia go, before it became too difficult.

I had no idea where I was going. I was just so furious I felt the need to get out. I pulled up the car by an empty roadside and killed the engine. I expelled a long sigh, running my fingers through my hair.

I hadn't been too hard on Thalia, had I? But why had she let that guy in? She should know better, especially since I've warned her multiple times before. I'd told her I didn't want any strangers coming to the mansion.

But then again, maybe it was urgent. She did say her mum was sick or something. I was too distracted by my rage to comprehend it. I just didn't expect to come home and see her... getting kissed by a guy. And holding hands. I always thought I was the only one who's ever done these things to her.