Chapter 39 - 48 Hours

"I'll figure something out."

Harry's voice rang in my ears over and over. That was what ke kept saying. My confidence in his words was fading. I needed something better than that. Things between the two of us had changed drastically in the span of just 48 hours. Everything was happening so fast it terrified me. I wished I wasn't so apprehensive all the time but it had become a part of who I was. The littlest of things worried me.

After our night together, I had been solely focused on how I much wanted to be near Harry, and how much I loved him. I hadn't given much thought to the consequences of our relationship.

We were nearing the hospital, nearing my mother and my palms were sweating. I had talked to Darren on the phone and I'd told him about my being let off. But suddenly I wasn't so sure if I was ready to face them, especially my mother. Why was I so nervous to see her? She was my mother. She had always been the person I was most comfortable around. But I was a changed person now, or atleast I felt that way. I felt like I had become one of those people she constantly criticised and warned me of.

I had lost my virginity, voluntarily. I had also gotten in the way of an engagement and had caused it to break. All in a mere 48 hours.

My mother couldn't know any of this. I wouldn't want to burden her poor heart with distasteful things. I would rather let my guilt eat me up from inside.

I felt something warm on my thigh and I snapped my head toward Harry. "Thinking again?"

I gave him a nod. His fingers tightened around my thigh and I felt a burst of heat. Things would be so much easier if I had never met him. But then there would  be a gaping hole in my life. "You need to give your mind a rest." He said.

"I know, I'm just... nervous." I told him. Green flared in my peripheral vision and his eyes returned to the road as he began to drive. He still managed to keep his hand on me.

"She's your mum." He laughed. I awkwardly shifted in the car seat at his touch. He noticed and stole a quick glance at me, a smile taking over his lips. I shuddered when he gently slid his hand up higher. Not right now.

"Why don't you wear dresses anymore?" He asked. I knew he was only trying to shift my focus away from my stress but I felt the pink rise in my cheeks at his words. I didn't dare to  think of how different this situation would be if I had chosen to wear a dress instead of these jeans.

"The vintage ones? You said they looked funny." I replied and I felt his hand slither down the valley of my thighs. A shaky whimper escaped my lips and embarrassment surfaced right after.

Harry smiled at my reaction, his face contorting in amusement as he kept his gaze on the road. He was so handsome when he smiled, I really liked those dimples. No, no. This wasn't the time.

"I could get you a nicer one... maybe a slightly shorter one." He shrugged his shoulder a little then proceeded to move his hand around, gently feeling me. I found myself biting on my lower lip to keep any more sounds from leaving my thoat. I shut my eyes. God, this was so wrong. I felt so guilty for enjoying this.

"It's okay, Lia... things are going to be fine." He said it in such an assuring way. How was it possible that he could make me feel this way whenever and wherever? I had never once experienced this kind of thrill before I met him. The effect he had on me had noticeably intensified after last night.

I felt the absence of Harry's touch, then a slight burn at my closed lids. My eyes cracked open to the new sensations. I realised that the Volkswagen had pulled up right outside the hospital, in a parking space. "We'll continue afterwards." Harry grinned as he clicked open his seatbelt. He leaned over to press a kiss to my cheek before getting out of the car.