Chapter 37 - Hostile

An aching annoyance thrived within me. My hands balled themselves into fists at the mere thought of Kaylee. She hadn't really done anything to me and for that fact I felt guilty for having bitter thoughts about her but it couldn't be helped. She did call me a prostitute, I hoped that was enough reason for me to dislike her this much.

What if Harry changed his mind about the marriage plans? What if he wanted to go through with it after he saw Kaylee? Insecurities swirled but I maybe I needed to learn to trust Harry more.

"I'll stay in the car." I suggested. The last thing I needed right now was more drama. I'd had enough.

"No, we'll go in together. It's my home. I can bring in whoever I want." Harry killed the engine and ripped the keys out.

"Harry, I don't want any trouble right now." I told him.

"I'm going to have to face her sooner or later."

"You can do that without me." I said. "I just don't want to be seen as a homewrecker or anything."

Right then I sensed movement in my peripheral vision. Harry and I snapped our heads toward the entrance door to see Mrs Briffen briskly tumbling down the stairs of the porch. She patted at her dress to straighten it as she arrived to the car.

She had been absent the whole weekend and boy would I blow her mind if I told her about the things that happened while she was gone. But I wasn't going to do that. As Harry had said, it was between me and him only. It was something covert that only the two of us shared.

"What's wrong?" Harry asked as he flung out of the car. The quick journey she had just taken was probably the cause of her rapid breathing.

"K-Kaylee just went off with..." She suck in a sharp breath. "Dylan to get things for the party."

"Where have you two been?" She continued.

I slipped out of the car, following Harry. So Kaylee wasn't here. But what party was she talking about?

"Slow down... what party?" Harry took it right out of my mouth.

"She claimed you knew of it." Her grey eyebrows pulled together. "The guests are arriving very soon! I got all anxious when I arrived here this morning because the two of you were nowhere to be found, but guess who was patiently waiting at the door."

"Kaylee." I figured.

She nodded hastily. "At six in the morning. She's been here all day."

Harry felt around his pocket before pulling out his phone. "I did see missed calls and messages but I haven't bothered to check."

"Oh dear... this is bad." Mrs Briffen gave her bottom lip light taps with her fingers, but the action ceased when she began to examine my clothing. I'd almost forgotten that I was still clad in Harry's shirt.

"What's the party for?" I inquired.

"She wants to announce the engagement, let everyone know." I felt my nerves grow taut at her words.

"What the hell? She can't just barge into my house and do whatever she wants." Harry spewed, fingers swiping over the screen of his phone before he held it against his ear.

"Where were you, dear?" Mrs Briffen asked as she observed my outfit again.

"It's... a terribly long story." I sighed. I was not in the mood to recall the things that happened yesterday. The things that were happening now were enough to make my heart palpitate at an almost alarming rate.