vingt

Life is great.

It's been 3 days and Lauren and I are moving really slowly but progressively. She's let me sleep beside her again, though I keep my distance so I don't overstep any boundaries. We're talking again, and she doesn't hesitate when she calls me anymore. She's finally eating what I make for breakfast.

But hey, the universe never fails to remind me how much it hates me.

"Lauren, breakfast!" I shout as I prepare two plates of Spanish omelettes in the kitchen.

Fresh from the shower, Lauren, clad in a long shirt and basketball shorts, steps out of our room with a towel wrapped around her head. "Hi," she greets with a shy smile.

"Hi," I breathe out as I take in how beautiful she looks. I'll never get used to this view.

"What're you looking at, hmm?" she asks while she sits on our dining table.

With a blush, I avert my eyes. "Nothing."

She chuckles, and my day is made. "Where's Sam?"

I bring our plates to the dining table and I sit across her. "Left early. She told me to remind you to check your phone because she sent something?"

"Already checked," she says with a laugh.

"Anything important?"

"Usual Sam stuff. Man, that girl loves you more than she loves me, and I'm supposed to be her best friend."

"Wanna share?"

She pulls out her phone from her shorts and slides it across the glass table. "Look for her latest text. Her name's chica."

Bubbly because she still trusts me with her phone, I open Sam's name on Messages.

[Chica 😛]: i have a conference 2day so i'll be back dinner. u better take care of Ale 2day coz i will beat ur ass if i see her crying over ur stupid ass again. lmao love u chica 💕

[Lauren Rubio]: Yes ma'am 😂 I won't pull any dumb shit anymore haha I love this girl ok

With a laugh to hide how flattered I am, I return Lauren's phone. "I love Sam so much right now," I think aloud.

"And I love you," she rebuts, making my heart stop. She takes a spoonful of the omelette, causing her eyes roll back, and she releases a moan that drives my hormones mad, and I fight the urge to say anything dumb. "And I love this," she adds, referring to her breakfast.

"I'm glad you like it," I say softly with my eyes on my plate. I feel her fingers lift up my chin. "Hi," I say dumbly once my eyes meet hers.

"You don't have to be nervous around me, Alessandra," she sighed sadly.

"Okay."

"We're cool, okay?"

"Okay," I repeat, finding myself unconsciously avoiding her eyes.

"Look at me." I follow. "We're okay. We're just taking it slow, yeah?"

"Yeah. Yeah. I'm sorry."

She frowns. She stands up and motions me to follow. Confused, I stand up anyway. "Come here," she says with her arms spread. She pulls me in her arms and... sigh. She holds me tight and I hold on to her tighter and I'll never get tired of saying that she feels like home. I feel my tense body relax and just melt into her, and I feel her sigh in contentment when I relax. She lets go a bit and makes me look at her. I do my best to keep my eyes away from her lips, though I allow a few glances to escape several times. "You can kiss me, you know," she says.