trente-quatre

It was heart shattering.

The minutes after I was sent out was the worst and longest moment of my life.

Seeing Mrs. Lévesque looking absolutely crushed tore me apart.

Keeping it together-and failing miserably, at that-while Mrs. Lévesque crumbled in my arms was excruciating.

But hearing the words "She's okay," from Ale's doctor was pure heaven.

I swore I almost fainted in relief. I wanted to barge into the room, but Ale was sent to intensive care, I think. I stopped listening after I heard that she was okay.

She's okay.

I never thought that the beeping sounds of hospital machines would ever be my favourite sound-at least for now.

She's okay.

This morning, she was again sent back to her hospital room.

She's okay, I repeat to myself for the millionth time today.

Just five minutes ago, I was told that I could go to Ale's room again. Apparently, she was awake a few hours ago, and she should be all right soon. The drugs they gave her just knocked her out for a while. Soon after given this news, I spread the news to Mrs. Lévesque. I sprint to Ale's room, but when I reach the door, I found myself unable to just burst through the doors.

It hits me.

I almost completely and eternally lost her.

I shake the thoughts away.

She's okay.

As I step into the room, I feel my heart pounding. The reassuring beeps of the hospital machines strangely calmed me down as I walked as gently as I could towards Ale's bedside that has served as my home for the past week. I make absolutely no sound as I approach a resting Alessandra, and all I can do is look at her. When I reach her bedside, I can barely breathe. It feels as if she'd break if I made any sound.

Many times I almost reach out to touch her, but I pull my hand back every time. Do I deserve this woman?

"I miss you," I utter, barely a whisper.

Then, like a dream, her eyes finally flutter open.

Frozen in place, I hold my breath. Is this real?

It takes her a few minutes to adjust her eyes. Her drowsy eyes slowly dart around the room, and when they land on mine, everything is colourful again. I'm alive again.

She's okay.

Her lips curve into a smile immediately. "Hi," she whispers. She clears her throat but winces in pain, sending me back to reality.

Tears uncontrollably escape my eyes, and I smile. "Hi. How are you?" I keep my voice soft.

Her adorable face frowns in confusion. "Who are you?"

Words cannot describe how my heart gave out with that question.

Then she weakly chuckles. "I'm kidding. I'm sorry, I've always wanted to do that," she speaks out with her dry throat.

I bury my face in my hands. I don't even know how I feel at the moment. "Don't freakin' do that. God, that hurt so much."

Then I feel her hand touch mine, causing me to look up from my hands. God, she's beautiful.