38|| Knight to H6

38|| Knight to H6

Simply put, Tom Riddle is a mess and a mixture of measures, meandering, and multitasking.  Rushing from hall to corridor, room to hall, the Dark Lord makes his way deeper into the Hogwarts Castle with each step ringing loud and with a hush that imposes itself on all.  Sure, the boy moves fast on a normal occasion, but the few that see him that night notice his even faster footfalls, practically running though with the grace of a snake.  And his hair, once so perfect, looks like it's been combed through five-hundred-times-over, stress radiating from his figure though N.E.W.T.s are over.  What has Tom Riddle in a hussy now?

Hermione Granger would be the answer, as the boy moves through the halls to the Potions classroom, this location seemingly further away than ever and taking hour-long minutes to find.  And yet, it's all Tom can think of, pushing away the thought of what trouble Hermione has found, at this very moment.  Maybe she's been killed already.  Maybe she's dying.  Maybe she's suffering.  No, he chooses not to think of it, but delegates his mind to the paths ahead.

So focused on his trek, Tom Riddle does not notice the lingering presence, entirely dismissing the bright wizard in an adjacent hallway, watching Tom with an inspecting, blue eye and one that shines of wisdom.  Surely, this is the most disheveled Tom Riddle has ever looked, a stark contrast to the boy he addressed in the hours after Myrtle's death.  Indeed, Tom Riddle seems to be in the most perfect state when hiding truths, and obviously the worst when he's raw to honesty.  Dumbledore is simply entranced by the notion.  What has Hermione done to the poor boy?

"Tom," the brightly dressed professor interrupts from that intersecting hall, one of much privacy for such an important, yet secretive conversation surely to arise.  The boy freezes at the noise, not so lost in himself that he does not recognize the dangers of Dumbledore.  His eyes flicker up to the professor with a determined gaze, not quite cast over by that cold facade.

"Professor," Tom offers, attempting to look professional under the penetrating look of Dumbledore, trying to hide the rush of his actions.  But--like Hermione--it seems that the old man is capable of seeing through such looks, grinning at Tom Riddle with a wise and humoured expression so common for his time.  And, infuriatingly enough, Tom cannot miss the glint in Dumbledore's eye.

"She's gone off then, hasn't she?" the professor asks, though it is more of a comment in tone, only reassured by the smirk on his face and gleaming eyes of sapphire.

Tom's eyes narrow at the other man, first in skepticism, then in bitter irritation.  How does Dumbledore always 'one-up' Tom Riddle, supposedly the most cunning of all wizards?  But it is a question of little worth, knowing that Dumbledore will always beat Tom Riddle.  And thus, he can only say, "I should have known you were involved."

"Oh no," Dumbledore says, stepping forward casually and with a mentoring ease, "do not believe that she entrusted me with this.  I may be old, but I am not daft.  I concluded it myself not too long ago, and glad I am that I did."

Did Dumbledore just call Tom Riddle 'daft?'

Tom cannot help his huff of irritation, though not enraged by the predictable digs of the Transfiguration professor.  There is no use in fighting Dumbledore with wits, and Tom does not have the time for such games.  "Sir, with due respect, I was just heading--"

"Ahh, Slughorn will not have what you are looking for, Tom," Dumbledore says with that ever expanding knowledge of everyone and everything, especially in regards to Tom Riddle.  Reaching deep into his robes, Dumbledore seems to grasp something of great worth in his palm.  "But I just so happen to have a Time-Turner right here, got it from the Minister himself..."  The worn hand of the old wizard returns to visibility, this time with said object clenched tightly in his fingers.  But it is freed in offering to Tom: the golden globe of great power shining in the light and upon the risen hand of Dumbledore.  "...for you."