chapter 5

"I like the night. Without the dark, we'd never see the stars." -Stephenie Meyer 

CARINA'S P.O.V.

After our graduation ceremony, we went to a fancy restaurant. Christine's parents arrived yesterday from Texas. Since I didn't have someone to attend in my graduation, they invited me to go with them for a celebration.

"At last, you two already graduated. Anyway, congratulations on being a cum laude Carina!" Mr. Robert Lenard, Christine's father said happily and offered a toast.

"Thank you Mr. Lenard." I replied shyly.

"You know what Christine, you should be like Carina. She is so serious in everything she does that's why she excels. I can say that she will be successful one day considering how smart she is". Mrs. Sandra Lenard, Christine's mom.

"Mom, you don't need to compare me to Cari. I have my own personality and so is she. It's our day today so the last thing I need is to be upset." She complained. Knowing her, she hates being compared to anyone. She is always the type who does whatever she wants. Unlike me, she is a very strong woman, she knows what she wants and how to get it. She is the type who always says what's in her mind. Totally opposite of me. 

I remember how we met when we were in high school; our classmates always bullied me because of my outfits. She was always the one who stood up for me, she even punched a girl who deliberately hit me with a ball during our sports class and she got a punishment from the school.

"Don't get us wrong darling, we just want to motivate you. She is your best friend and we know she is a good influence to you. All I'm saying is get your act together. You are already an adult. You are about to start your career and we want you to be successful in your chosen career. You are our daughter and we're so proud of you and you know that. It's just that sometimes, we can't help but to be worried about you. You are so stubborn and careless" Her father explained calmly and adoringly.

"Dad, you know me. I will never do anything that will ruin my future, especially our name" She replied and hug her dad.

"Enough of this topic. We are here to celebrate. Let's eat, the food is getting cold" Mrs. Lenard said and started eating.

"So Carina, I supposed you already found a job?" Mr. Lenard inquired. In the tone of his voice, he was so sure that I already have found one.

"Not yet Mr. Lenard but I have a few job interviews next week. I just hope I can land to a nice company".

"Yes. You're a smart girl and I'm sure you will be a great employee." He said, assuring me.

"Yes, I'm sure you will. Anyway Christine, did you invite you cousins?"

"Yes mom. They'll going to be late because of work. Aunt and Ellie aren't going to make it because they are out of the country". Upon hearing that, excitement ran in my heart. I will see him again.

We talked about other things as time goes by. Christine's family is really nice. Sometimes, I get jealous of her because she has a great and loving family, not to mention they're rich. The only thing that I craved for was to have a happy family. Even if we were not rich, at least we would have each other. That was always been my dream. But now, I was alone and the sight of a happy family makes me envious sometimes that I want to pity myself. My mother was a great mom when she was alive and I never recall a moment or instance that she hurt me. She was a very gentle and loving mother. But the only thing that she failed to do was choosing the right man. I didn't have the privilege to meet my biological father but I always had this feeling of emptiness and the desire to find who he was.