chapter 2

Oh Flipping Sugar Pancakes! I was going to be late, it wasn’t my fault I overslept. I honestly couldn’t get to sleep knowing what was in stall for me. I felt my bag slap against my back as I ran to the entrance of the carnival. Who knew Erin could be so cruel.  It started when she took my phone and signed me up for some crazy charity. You wouldn’t believe how happy Maya, the chic in our year that organises everything, was. She’s amazing, but she sounded a little too ecstatic for having someone with ‘Refined beauty’ be willing to give their time for charity. In other words I had sex appeal that guys were after, to bad none of them were going get any of it. But of course Erin’s dare didn’t stop there. Oh no she and the others thought I needed to go one step further, and get a boyfriend. It had been a while since I had been on the dating scene, I guess she wanted payback for that dare I gave her last time.

 Anyway the dare was that whatever number the raffle guy called out, I had to kiss that many desperate jerks before I got to my potential boyfriend. Well we did make exceptions. If the guy was a kid or some old fart I could pick the next one.

I neared the fair ground where a queue of people were waiting to get in. Rolling my eyes I ran to the front of the queue.

“Excuse me I’m late, here,” I shoved the entry fee into the guys hand. “Keep the change,” I said pushing some guy out of the way.

“Oi, Watch where you’re going, you crazy broad!” some random guy called. I turned and saw a rather average looking guy my age.

“I’d love to kick your ass but I’m late,” I swived around and took off into the fair ground. I searched around and found Bec. “I’m sorry I’m late,” I puffed.

“Never mind that, get in here and change,” she shoved me into a thankfully clean port-a-loo and closed the door. “You know that drink I gave Sam?” she continued outside the cubical. “Well I think I might have killed her,” she said calmly.

“WHAT!” I yelled stumbling as I took my shorts off.

“Yeah, she’s in hospital, I think I might have given her food poisoning,” she half-heartedly laughed. It wasn’t the first time one of us had ended up on the short end of the straw. I had once ended up slashing my hand open while I think it was Kasey who fainted and had a mild concussion. Make you wonder how we remained friends. “You done in there?” she called after a few minutes banging impatiently on the side of my little box.

I popped out in my cute mint green dress chucking my silver ballet flats to the ground I slipped them on. “Look up for a sec,” Bec instructed touching up my mascara. She handed me a tube of lip gloss while she tackled my hair. Just a simple twist with a sparkly bobby pin to my fringe. “Ok come on, move it sporty,” she said pulling me along to a bright pink stand covered in love hearts. I grinned when I saw Kasey, surrounded by guys.

“So how’s the new hair?” I asked. She turned and beamed at me.

“It’s fabulous I’m like ten times more popular than I was before,” She grinned flicking her pink locks her deep blue eyes sparkling at me. She glanced at her watch and farewelled her new companions and pulled me up to the dreaded kissing booth, where Maya beamed at the sight of us approaching.

“Oh thank you so much for signing up. It’s nice to see you can give up your time. As nice as Blair is, she’s not exactly raising much for the animal shelter.” Maya smiled pushing her glasses up. Just so you know, I’m not a knock your socks off pretty, that’s more Sam and Kasey. I do the gentler natural beauty thing like Erin who has the bonus of being the sweetest thing around…well until now. “Ok so just sit here,” she smiled shooing Blair away before moving to the front of the stall bumping up the price. So my kisses were worth now two fifty oppose to the dollar Blair was charging.

“Here, you’re going to need it.” Blair whispered passing a bottle of mouth spray before suddenly taking off.  I nodded my thanks and took a seat at behind the table.

“Good luck, you’ve got a few minutes before the raffle is called. Use it as practise, it’s been a while since you’ve been openly available.  We’ll go and find Erin, ta  ta,” Kasey smiled looping her arm through Bec’s giving me a knowing wink. “Remember you don’t have to do this. But I’m sure Mr Touching would be ever so delighted to see you,” I gave her a playful glare and let them be. Knowing full well I’d be able to get my revenge later.

I held my spray, knowing that this was going to be disgusting. The only problem was that if I started now I would still have to wait for the raffle man to call the number.

"You all good to go?" Maya asked her grin still in place.

"Animal shelter was it?" I asked getting my story in place for anyone who call me ‘desperate’. She nodded and turned to my first...umm participant. He slowly stepped up in front of me. Oh god he was hot. He gave me a dashing grin. Ok, maybe I would enjoy it, I was going to have to kiss more or less four dozen guys, I should at the very least enjoy it.

To say I didn't enjoy my first kiss in what had been months was an understatement. I was prepared, to take another swig  at the guy when Maya brought my next customer. A slightly chubby 12 year old. Oh what, the heck, he was kind of cute, a bit slobbery but not horrible. Next was another hot guy. Blonde and blue eyed, and oh that accent. Someone sign me up for Spanish. The next guy was some old fart who kept looking at my boobs, and his breath smell of anchovies. I have to say I was very generous, with the mouth spray. Another kid, who like me, had been dared. He left with the biggest grin on his face.

"I think your enjoying this a bit too much," Maya smiled handing me a bottle of water. Suddenly the long awaited announcement came over, the speakers.

"Well ladies and gentleman, its finally time to call the lucky door prize," a metallic voice  echoed around the fairground followed by a drum roll. "Number twenty three. Now for the..."

Twenty three? Twenty three guys I had to kiss? Twenty three? I turned around and almost feel off my seat with a heart attack.

"Maya where did all these guys suddenly come from?" I glanced down at Maya who was suddenly boosting up the price to $3.50.

"Seems you’re quite the catch. Good job Callie, now the animals will definitely have a greater chance of being saved. It’s kind of sad how desperate some people are." The next guy stepped up. Great another old fogey I slowly reached for my breath spray.

---

so what you guys think so far?

I remember when i first orignially wrote this chapter i read it allowed to a friend who stopped me at the first line asking me why i had suddenly had a british accent.  "Oh flipping sugar pancakes"  we ended up repeating it over and over again trying different accents and failing it. 

anyway pink haired Kasey to the right -->