Chasing Cars

4 Years and Nine Months Later

"Mom, are you sure you don't want me to come home early?" My mom hacked up a lung. "No, just stay where you are." I smiled a small bit. Mom and dad always wanted me to just live a life. For almost five years I have been traveling the world with my cousin. In two months she would meet death. Well, she would if she hadn't found her second chance a year ago. I told her she didn't need to stick around with me but she insisted saying I shouldn't travel alone.

Right away when I landed in London she dragged me to get contacts. It was another month until I got my braces off. That day she took me to replace my wardrobe. These days I wore things like crop tops and skinny jeans. My red hair was longer and had natural waved curls.

Last year mom was diagnosed with stage three cancer. Two months ago she was admitted to the hospital. It was rare that werewolf's got cancer but it happened. I haven't been home since my mate rejected me. The closest I came was six months ago when my brother and his mate had their baby girl. Other than that, every year my parents and I met up somewhere for Christmas and other holidays.

"Alright. What shirt should I wear?" I held up a black top that had angled cuts at the bottom so my navel was showing, and low cut in back so my tattoo was showing. The other top was a dark purple crop top without sleeves. "The black one. It goes great with the black jeans and stilettos."

Even though mom was in the sates and I traveled we stayed close. I Skyped her every day I could and we just talked about random things. In no time I had the top on and let my hair loose out of the pony tail. "Where is dad?" Ever since mom was put in the hospital he had been with her every time. "Him and your sister are out getting food with her mate."

Alice had found her mate last week. When I left I worried that the wolves in her grade would make fun of her since I was rejected. My wolf whimpered at the thought like she did every time I thought about it. I was over it about six months after it happened but my wolf, Jules, was not and wouldn't be unless I found my second chance.

"Where's your cousin?" Mom asked. "She and Mike are out at dinner." She didn't go clubbing with me that much anymore so she treated those nights as date nights. "Good for her." My family was open about many things. If someone found their mate our family was happy for them even if another had been rejected. Hell, the night she told me about Mike I basically threw a party.

At first she tried not to act as excited as she should be for my sake. It took a month before I met him. He knew about my situation and even now he didn't bring it up even though I had accepted my fate. When ever we went someplace new we would spend a week deciding and then another to go. They always left the choice up to me even though I didn't care that much.

Once again mom started coughing. She hasn't been doing well the last few days."Mom, I can come home." It was bad enough that my family has to deal with my death in a few months but with mom getting worse there might be two funerals within weeks of each other.

"Lilly I'm fine. Just stay...." She started to fight for breath. "Stay..." she tried again. "Mom? Mom!" Panic started to build up as her breathing became more labored. I picked up the phone and tried to call dad but he didn't pick up. In the background I heard doctors shout, "Code Blue!" and rush into my mothers room.

They didn't take notice of the computer open on Skype besides moving it out of the way. I knew shouting wouldn't do any good at this point. My mom arrested for almost thirty minutes before they called time of death.

No sooner then they called it, my phone rang. I almost forgot to pick it up because the ringtone was Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol. It felt like a freaking Grey's Anatomy episode. As my ring tone was nearing the end I picked it up. Dad was on the other line. "What's up Lilly?"

"Mom's dead."