How to Save a Life

The funeral was short and sweet. Dad, Lance, Alice, and I all gave short eulogies. After we lowered her into the ground everyone came back to our house for a small luncheon. Most of the day before the funeral I was cooking. Basically 85% of the food here I made.

Not only was my pack here but so was my mom's old pack. There were also a few members of other packs here. Those who knew me in my pack barely recognized me. Every so often I heard comments like, "This family has to deal with so much". At this point it was common knowledge I would die in a few months. Dad didn't exactly approve of my dress but I really didn't give a fuck.

My dress hugged my frame and had sleeves that didn't come over my shoulders. The black fabric stopped just above my knees, but the black heals supplemented the loss of leg length from the dress. A little bit of cleavage showed as well. Long story short, it was my funeral dress. I bought it earlier this year and this was the first chance I had to wear it.

"I was right. That dress looks great on you Lilly." My cousin Ruby told me. "Well, I learned a while ago never to question your fashion choices." We laughed a bitter laugh. Mike came to join us. "Are you going to leave and continue your trip?" Three months seamed like such a short time now. "No. I would just be coming back in two months."

"I'm going to introduce Mike to the family." She basically dragged him away. Before he was out of sight I caught him mouthing the words 'Help me' in my direction. I just gave him a good luck type of look.

I walked around the house talking with people. It was like a switch flipped because my wolf started to whimper as I felt a presence behind me. A scent of musk and cologne filled my senses. "It's such a shame. She was a nice woman." Ryan Eaton's voice had gotten deeper in the last four years. "I know. I heard that this family will also loose their daughter in three months."

"I know. This family is strong though. Even if it is hard they have everyone's support through these troubling times." I wanted to laugh so much. He didn't recognize me. Maybe the disconnected mate bond fried his brain. Or maybe, it's the fact he is a guy. "What do you know about their daughter?" If there was one thing I was still hoping to count on it was his need to brag.

"Not much. All I know is she fled the country the same day she got rejected. I don't even think she is here." With a smile I turned around. "Oh trust me, she is. In fact, she was on video chat with her mom when it happened." I told him with a smirk. I swear his jaw dropped to the floor. "Lilly, I didn't know."

"Save it Ryan." I was so over it but again, I will point one thing out, HE IS A GUY!!!!!! Take three guesses as to what he was staring at. "Hey fella," I said as I tapped his chin and brought his face to eye contact. "My eyes are up here." He was still dumbfounded. I could tell he was trying to picture seventeen year old me but just couldn't.

"Lilly, I tried looking for you that night. My wolf kicked my butt about it, but," I put my finger over his lips to shut him the hell up. "Shut up. I'm actually glad you rejected me." I said with a smirk. He came closer and backed me up against the wall. "Really?" I reached behind his neck and attacked his lips. They were soft and full as they moved against mine. I kissed him like my life depended on it. My wolf was excited but still whimpered.

I pulled back and smiled. "It showed me how much of a jerk and user you are. It let me discover who I truly am. So thanks." I patted his cheek and started to walk away. I looked back to see the shock on his face but walked into a wall of muscle. "So Ryan, who do we have here." The new comer had forest green eyes I swear I have seen before. The suit he wore clung to his body in all the right places. "Alpha, this is Lilly Adams. Lilly this is Alpha Clarke Hunt." The man stuck his hand out. "It's a pleasure to meet you miss." What took me most by surprise was the gentlemanly kiss to my hand he gave.

"I am sorry about your mother. I also am sorry about your situation." I had to laugh. "I didn't realize news travels across packs. Thank you though, really it's your Beta you need to congratulate for that." I know it seams petty to throw him under the bus like that, but payback is a bitch. The next time the Alpha's eyes met mine I realized where I saw him. "It's a shame you let this one go. She is a great dancer and can show a guy a fun time."

The look of hurt Ryan gave me was one he shouldn't give me. It was his fault. "So that girl you told me about last night from the club was her?!" For a moment they looked at each other. Honestly they were probably using the pack connection. After a moment Ryan looked at me. "Well." I kind of just shrugged and gave Alpha Hunt a wink.

"What can I say? A dying girl needs her kicks."