Rewind III: The First and The Last

".. And then I'd always help mom whenever I got back from my duties. She makes really awesome tomato soup for dad!"

Itachi rested his elbows on either side of his leg while his head was turned, listening to every word the Uchiha heiress was saying. They had spent the last half hour after their previous conversation talking about life in the new Konoha.

"Sakura seems to take care of him very well." He said, pleased with the updates he received so far regarding the Uchiha family.

"Yeah, when mom and dad are together, sometimes they don't know, but I'll be peeking at them through my bedroom door when they're not paying attention." Sarada's face was filled with excitement. "Recently, I've even seen them kiss!"

At this, the elder Uchiha couldn't resist his grin. He continued to stare at his niece as she proceeded to speak with large arm movements, her facial expression changing with every word. He nodded at everything she said, absorbing them while his own thoughts roamed. Hearing these stories reminded himself of their own family, with Fugaku and Mikoto. They once had very happy moments just like the new Uchiha family. His expression alone wasn't enough to show how happy he was for his younger brother. The two of them had come a long way, and now that Itachi was gone, Sasuke had really found happiness and success in one, while carrying on the name of the Uchiha.

".. And that's why Boruto really looks up to Dad now, he's even taken him as a disciple! Everyone thought he'd want to be Hokage just like his dad!"

The unfamiliar name caught Itachi's attention. "Boruto?"

"Yeah, Uncle Naruto's son!"

Ah.. So Naruto had a kid now, too. Itachi thought, pondering how times have really changed. Wait.. Hokage?

"Naruto has become the 7th?"

"Yep! Boruto also complains how his dad isn't really around, but Uncle Naruto and dad are always sneaking around having conversations with eachother. They seem to be more devoted to eachother than their wives!"

Surprisingly, Itachi let out a soft chuckle. He reminisced back to the times where Naruto would constantly drab about becoming the Hokage after saving Sasuke. His brother really was lucky to have a best friend like him.

"In fact, he's the one who took me to this old storage room where the time-travel scroll was hidden.." Sarada faded as she continued her speech. "Come to think of it, you didn't answer my question from earlier. Why were you in the white space? And how am I able to talk to you like this if you're from the past?"

This situation came along with another story. Itachi took a moment for himself in an attempt to think of the most condensed version as possible.

"The time-travel scroll was originally developed by Madara a long time ago." He started. "After he died during a conflict with his rival, Hashirama, he went into hiding and developed the scroll for future use. He was planning to use it to overwrite history between the Uchihas and the Senju clan by eliminating them once and for all, and to make it so that everyone lived in that past."

"Making a time-travel technique.. Is that even possible?"

"I'm not sure of the details myself. But he spent a long time creating it, almost as long as his second plan to destroy the world."

"So how did it get in your hands?"

"When Madara entrusted the scroll to a man named Obito, the scroll made its way to the Akatsuki. No one in the gang knew." Itachi said. "Except for me, of course. I eventually managed to steal it."

Sarada smiled. She didn't doubt her uncle's capabilities.

"I didn't approve of what Madara was planning to do with it. That's why I took it." He continued. "The scroll can only be open by the hands of a Uchiha, with only one use by a single person. Initially, I planned to save it for when I revealed the truth about the massacre to Sasuke."