VIII. The Point of no Return

Lilienne was not sure how long the Angel of Music kept her on the stage, but she felt as if she'd been singing for hours.  Yet, even though her lessons had only just begun, she felt like she'd learned so much already.  The Angel of Music was a good teacher, indeed. 

     "Eh bienAnge, I suppose I should bid you à la prochaine." 

     It had to be well into the early hours of the morning by now, and the Opéra Populaire had a show to put on that night.  Lilienne bobbed a delicate curtsy, bowing her head low, unsure if he could even see her.

    "Wait, mademoiselle, I have... a certain favour to ask you."

     Lilienne's eyebrows raised in curiosity- what favour could the Angel of Music, or the Phantom of the Opera at that, have to ask of her? 

     "You see, I'm working on an opera of my own- I've nearly finished it, actually."

     "The Phantom's opera..." Lilienne's voice trialed off. The Angel laughed.

     "Clever, ma fillette. There is a song in this opera that I would like to hear sung before it is unveiled."

     Behind her, Lilienne heard a shuffling, and turned in a flash. There was, placed on the stage floor, papers bound in leather. She picked it up, removing its contents. There were several sheets of music; staves, bars, notes, all inked in his own penmanship. Lilienne held the music as if it were a fragile child.

     "The second part- the woman's- follows the first. I shall sing from the beginning, so you'll understand how it sounds when it's your turn."

     Without so much as her consent, the music of a violin filled the theater again, this time accompanying a male voice- a male voice so sweet, Lilienne thought she might fall asleep listening to him. The Angel's voice was tender and exposed, and portrayed such emotion that Lilienne's heart felt as if it would break.

     You have come here

     In pursuit of your deepest urge-

    In pursuit of that wish which 'til now

     Has been silent,

     Silent.

     Lilienne's heart beat faster and her breath quickened. His voice may lull her, but the song pricked at her skin and stirred untouched parts inside of her.

     I have brought you

     That our passions may fuse and merge.

     In your mind you've already succumbed to me-

     Dropped all defenses, completely succumbed to me,

     Now you are here with me,

     No second thoughts, you've decided,

     Decided.

     Lilienne had to keep reminding herself that it was just a song, that he hadn't yet known of her when he'd written it. Yet, she found herself being pulled back in, certain that he was singing directly to her. She tried to keep her own defenses up, but the more he sang, the less stable those defenses became.

     Past the point of no return,

     No backward glances-

     Our games of make-believe are at an end.