Spells In The Dark

I arrive at the spot Maisie wanted us to with Xalvador and his body tenses immediately. Maisie isn't there but there are candles set up in a circle. We look around for Maisie and when she doesn't appear, we just decide to wait. There is still time for the moon to come up, the last rays on sun casting a subtle glow on the area.

We just sit near a tree, waiting for Maisie to come.

"Are you nervous?" I ask Xalvador.

"No." He replies. "Are you?"

"Not nervous, but there is this feeling that something bad might happen." I say. Xalvador squeezes my hand effectively calming me down.

"Nothing will happen. Even that woman refuses to help us we will save our pack." He says and I nod. His expression changes to one of surprise just for the slightest moment. I know why. I didn't contradict when he said 'our pack'. How can I, when its not true? He doesn't comment on it and I'm thankful. If I tell him what Elizabeth told me, he will want to consummate the bond. And I am not ready for that. Even if Xalvador agrees to wait and respect my wish, his wolf won't. The only leash Xalvador has on his wolf is the fact that I was a rogue and to become a pack member officially is still hard for me.

Even if I've agreed to be marked, to consummate the bond is a much bigger step. Once I do it, the connection will become hundred times more powerful. His strengths will become my mine and so will his weaknesses and it would be impossible to stay wihout each other. And I am not ready for that. It feels like giving up completely on that little freedom that I have.

"I'm sorry Alpha, Luna. I had to arrange a few things." Maisie appears announcing. She immediately gulps as Xalvador stares at her with a hard look.

"Xalvador I already told you Maisie hid the fact that she is a witch because I told her to. Stop glaring at her." I whisper-scold him. He averts his gaze and Maisie shoots me a thankful look. She stands inside the circle of candles and then closes her eyes chanting something. The candles all around light up and I feel Xalvador's surprise.

"Alpha, please step in the circle." Maisie says and Xalvador's form stiffens again. He offers his hand to me and I look at him in question.

"You either stand with me or I'm leaving." He says with finality and I look at Maisie hesistantly. She seems to think for a while and then nods. I take Xalvador's hand and together we stand in the centre of the circle. Maisie thrusts her hands forward and closes her eyes in concentration. She chants her spell in a low voice and we can't hear it. The wind blows around slightly and the leaves ruffle in rebellion. This goes on for minutes untill Maisie stops and look forward.

"Maisie?" I call out but she doesn't reply. She keeps looking forward and then closes her eyes again and her eyebrows scrunch as if focusing on something. Xalvador and I exchange same looks of confusion when suddenly Maisie gasps and stumbles backward. Xalvador immediately catches her and I help him. She regains her balance and looks at her with an expression I quote can't fathom. Its almost a mix of surprise, confusion and... sadness.

"Did you get the help you wanted?" Xalvador asks in a gruff tone.

"No." Maisie says in a low voice and Xalvador scoffs.

"She has always been so selfish." He taunts.

"No Alpha. She isn't selfish this time. She is...dead."

I gasp lightly while Xalvador almost flinches. Almost. He just looks at me and storms away back to the house. I want to talk to Maisie but I know Xalvador shouldn't be alone. I run in the direction he disappeared and halt at the entrance of the pack house. Where did he go? I focus on the bond and I feel him near the back of the house. Feel his anger. And his hurt.