california dreamin'

c h a p t e r 3

c h a p t e r 3

I forgot to set my alarm clock last night.

In consequence, I am late for school.

I'm not angry at myself, nor do I fear getting detention. Especially when Abi Dearest is able to tell me that she feels like herself every time she talks to me, or um, Danny Sanderson that is.

But still, I'm a complete imbecile for trying to end these conversations and nightly talks. And I don't really know why I wanted to treat Abi like crap, but next time I'll be nicer to her.

I get out of bed and quickly throw on a t-shirt and a pair of jeans.

"Where did my other converse go?" I ask as I'm looking under my bed, and inside the closet for the damn shoe.

I then gather up all my school work and things that were cluttered on my desk and put them in my backpack.

I look at the time on my phone and realize I'd already missed thirty minutes of school. But for some reason, I feel the need to still go to school.

Mom is probably already at work, so, she isn't going to be on my ass, and I really don't have to worry about her right now.

In the kitchen, I grab a bag of potato chips that are in the pantry for breakfast.

But before I can even walk out the door, I notice Mom's cars keys that are on the kitchen table.

Shit.

👓👓👓

"I don't want to get up," Mom whines, "Please leave me be."

I roll my eyes, and nudge Mom more. "Mom, you gotta get up. You're already an hour late for work."

"Then I'll call in sick for work. Leave Collin!"

I don't leave. In response, I pull the comforter off the bed, and throw all the pillows on the floor. Lazily I pick out Mom's clothes for work and throw them at her. "C'mon Mom! You've been doing good for six months! You don't want to lose another job, right?"

She sits up on the bed and gives me a deadly look. "I'm not going to tell you again, leave me the hell alone! Don't you have school?"

I look at Mom and think, Why the hell is my life this way?

Fuck it; I'm missing school.

👓👓👓

Once I change back into my pajamas, and go into the kitchen to make myself a ham sandwich. Mom emerges from her room dressed for work (in the clothes I picked out for her) and in a quick frenzy.